The Grizzlies had every fan up and waving a rally towel, cranking up the noise with every Spurs miss or mistake. Arthur ended the quarter by hitting a pair of jumpers to put Memphis up 78-65.
Battier made a 3-pointer to give Memphis a 94-75 lead with 5:43 left, starting the party in earnest in a town desperate for an NBA winner in the Grizzlies' 10th year here.
"They put their foot on our neck and they never let up," Popovich said. "They did a great job."
The Grizzlies had just their sixth sellout crowd of the season, and the fans couldn't have been more electric. They buzzed with a sense of expectation instead of mere hope for a win over the same team that swept Memphis out of the playoffs in its first postseason trip in 2004.
Duncan, Parker and Ginobili were on that team, and they're still with the Spurs. Ginobili was asked if they are feeling old right now.
"We've been feeling old for five years. I don't think it's a matter of experience, old or young," Ginobili said. "We're not the most athletic team in the league, and they are tough as we said for a week since we started playing. They are young, athletic. They play hard, and we couldn't find answers in that third quarter."
NOTES: The Spurs outscored Memphis 46-42 in the paint. ... The Grizzlies led the NBA in forcing turnovers with 16.5 per game and steals with 9.40 per game. They had their best performance of the series Monday night, forcing 17 turnovers that they turned into 20 points. Memphis also had eight steals, three by Allen. ... The Grizzlies went 23-3 in the regular season when holding opponents to 90 points or fewer. ... Memphis has never played a game in May.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37