PROVO — The BYU rugby team beat a mixed Dixie State College by the score of 39-12 on Saturday.
Despite Dixie State being reinforced by players from the Provo Steelers and the UVU Wolverines, the Cougars jumped out to a 34-0 halftime lead over the Red Storm with six tries.
The BYU scoring was started in the third minute at the hands of football convert and newcomer wing Zeke Mendenhall who ran off the shoulder of freshman flyhalf Josh Webber from a set piece scrum move for the 10-meter score.
Mendenhall would see the endzone again in the 17th minute to tally a pair of tries along with senior scrumhalf Jordan Lontine, who would score in the 14th and 34th minutes.
Props David Collins and Inoke Hafoka would also dot down in the first half to round out the scoring in the opening stanza.
With an increase and change in players for both sides the second was played to a 12-5 score in favor of the mixed DSC side. The lone BYU score came from substitute wing Lokahi Vuikadavu who would gather a stray Red Storm kick and step for a 30 meter try.
After a largely stale-mated second half riddled with errors the final score ended in the favor of the Cougars by the score of 39 to 12.
BYU now readies for a final regular season and Western Conference tilt with Arizona State University on South Field next Saturday, April 30th at 1pm MT.
A win against the Sun Devils gives the Cougars a fist round playoff home game against the College Premier Division Eastern Conference #2 seed, likely to be either Army or Navy, on May 7th. While a loss, without a registered point, could have the Cougars heading East to face the Eastern Conference #1 seed on the same day.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19