Quantcast

Police: Brandon Marshall stabbed by wife

Associated Press

Published: Saturday, April 23 2011 10:02 p.m. MDT

MIAMI — Authorities said the wife of Brandon Marshall stabbed the Miami Dolphins wide receiver with a kitchen knife, and his agent said Saturday that the player was recovering.

Michi Nogami-Marshall, 26, was arrested Friday evening and charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. According to the Broward County Sheriff's Office arrest report, Nogami-Marshall told officers she was defending herself. Marshall had earlier told officers he slipped and fell onto a broken glass vase, but the officers noted that evidence at the couple's home didn't substantiate that claim.

Nogami-Marshall was released from jail Saturday on $7,500 bail. It was unclear if she had an attorney.

"This is a very difficult time for Brandon and family, thankfully he will make a full recovery," Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, said in a statement.

The NFL lockout restricts team contact with players. However, a team doctor for the Dolphins can see Marshall and consult with Marshall's other doctors, and the team can express appropriate well wishes, said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

Marshall married Michi Nogami in Miami last July. They met while both were students at Central Florida. They live in Southwest Ranches, which is near the Dolphins' complex in Davie.

A year ago last week, Marshall, 27, was traded to the Dolphins by the Denver Broncos for two second-round draft picks. In Denver, he caught at least 100 passes three consecutive years and twice made the Pro Bowl. Yet he wore out his welcome, in part because of a long legal record.

In March 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta on misdemeanor battery charges stemming from a fight with Nogami-Marshall, who was his fiancée at the time. The charges were dropped when both refused to testify. Marshall was also involved in a New Year's Eve fight that led to the 2007 drive-by slaying of Broncos teammate Darrent Williams.

WELKER MAKING MOST OF LOCKOUT: New England Patriots receiver Wes Welker isn't too concerned about the NFL lockout at this point.

He's making the most of his down time, spending some of Saturday with about 180 kids who attended the free football camp he holds every year in Oklahoma City.

Welker tossed a few passes to the participants, threw in a few tips during receiving drills and lined up on defense during the 31/2-hour camp at Douglass High School. The school received a grant from Welker's foundation to upgrade its weight room and add video technology that can help get students recruited by Division I schools.

Welker says he's enjoying setting his own training schedule and getting time away from some of the same faces he usually sees so often.

But come this fall, he says, "I just want to play ball."

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS