VICTORIA, British Columbia — Victoria's Josh Aspenlind scored just 11 seconds into overtime as the Salmon Kings edged the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 on Wednesday night. With the win, Victoria takes a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven ECHL playoff series.
After a scoreless first period, Utah scored two goals in a 20-second span of the second period to take a 2-0 lead. Simon Ferguson beat Victoria goaltender David Shantz 2:35 into the frame to make it 1-0 on his fourth goal of the postseason, as he also added his league-leading 12th point. Kevin Deeth and Brett Parnham picked up assists. Utah then won the face-off and Shea Guthrie found Paul McIlveen for his second goal of the playoffs.
Victoria chipped away, scoring with 1:03 left in the second period and then with 14:04 left in regulation on the power-play to tie it at 2-2 and set the stage for OT.
The Salmon Kings won the face-off in overtime and Aspenlind blasted a shot for the game-winner.
J.P. Lamoureux stopped 28 of 31 shots in the contest and again suffered the tough luck loss.
Game 4 is scheduled for Friday in Victoria at 8:05 p.m. MDT.
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22