VICTORIA, British Columbia — Victoria's Josh Aspenlind scored just 11 seconds into overtime as the Salmon Kings edged the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 on Wednesday night. With the win, Victoria takes a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven ECHL playoff series.
After a scoreless first period, Utah scored two goals in a 20-second span of the second period to take a 2-0 lead. Simon Ferguson beat Victoria goaltender David Shantz 2:35 into the frame to make it 1-0 on his fourth goal of the postseason, as he also added his league-leading 12th point. Kevin Deeth and Brett Parnham picked up assists. Utah then won the face-off and Shea Guthrie found Paul McIlveen for his second goal of the playoffs.
Victoria chipped away, scoring with 1:03 left in the second period and then with 14:04 left in regulation on the power-play to tie it at 2-2 and set the stage for OT.
The Salmon Kings won the face-off in overtime and Aspenlind blasted a shot for the game-winner.
J.P. Lamoureux stopped 28 of 31 shots in the contest and again suffered the tough luck loss.
Game 4 is scheduled for Friday in Victoria at 8:05 p.m. MDT.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45