VICTORIA, British Columbia — Victoria's Josh Aspenlind scored just 11 seconds into overtime as the Salmon Kings edged the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 on Wednesday night. With the win, Victoria takes a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven ECHL playoff series.
After a scoreless first period, Utah scored two goals in a 20-second span of the second period to take a 2-0 lead. Simon Ferguson beat Victoria goaltender David Shantz 2:35 into the frame to make it 1-0 on his fourth goal of the postseason, as he also added his league-leading 12th point. Kevin Deeth and Brett Parnham picked up assists. Utah then won the face-off and Shea Guthrie found Paul McIlveen for his second goal of the playoffs.
Victoria chipped away, scoring with 1:03 left in the second period and then with 14:04 left in regulation on the power-play to tie it at 2-2 and set the stage for OT.
The Salmon Kings won the face-off in overtime and Aspenlind blasted a shot for the game-winner.
J.P. Lamoureux stopped 28 of 31 shots in the contest and again suffered the tough luck loss.
Game 4 is scheduled for Friday in Victoria at 8:05 p.m. MDT.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 36