The brashness of some of the leaders and founders of the tea party in Utah is both laughable and problematic. By calling former Gov. Jon Huntsman at best a socialist and at worst a communist they are invoking the McCarthy principles which advocate labels rather than constructive dialogue.
If this is what they are about, I would hope their own members, and other forward thinking people associated with this movement, will inject some sense into their leaders. I am glad Gov. Gary Herbert has chosen to follow what is best for this state rather than being a puppet of these headstrong leaders. If they continue in this type of dialogue, it will be to the discredit of what this movement perhaps intended and will surely cause the rise of the silent majority — something they may not have intended to ignite.
Salt Lake City
- President Boyd K. Packer — 'defender'...
- In our opinion: Declaration of Independence...
- My view: Everything you think you know about...
- Letter: Patriotism has not died
- Letter: The Fourth
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- My view: Move the prison for the sake of...
- Greg Bell: Smartphones, tablets, laptops are...
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 51
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 26
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- My view: Poor federal stewardship... 20