Former Alta star earns Pac-10 award
Kavin Keyes, a two-time all-state baseball player at Alta before graduating early, is the Pac-10's Player of the Week. Keyes, an Oregon State freshman, hit 6-for-11 in a three-game sweep over Stanford last week. He had the game-winning RBI in two of the three games against the Cardinal.
Keyes has hit safely in his last 14 games and is batting .446 with seven RBIs during the streak. He ranks second on the team with a .361 batting average and is hitting .452 in Pac-10 play, which is also second on the team.
Blaze's Boone gets AFL recognition
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Blaze wide receiver Aaron Boone earned the Spalding Highlight of the Week from the Arena Football League.
Boone's Highlight of the Week play came on a 14-yard reception from Blaze QB Tommy Grady in the second quarter of Utah's victory over the defending ArenaBowl XXIII Champion Spokane Shock. On that reception, Boone broke the franchise record for career receiving yards of 4,063, previously held by former Blaze WR Siaha Burley. Boone finished the night with 10 catches for 100 yards and three touchdowns. He now holds franchise records for receptions (370) and receiving yards (4,128) and is tied with Burley for career TDs (93).
Utes' Cron captures weekly honor
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah junior first baseman C.J. Cron has been named Mountain West Conference Co-Player of the Week.
Cron hit 8-for-18 (.444) for the week while leading Utah to a 3-1 mark on the road. Cron tallied eight RBIs, six runs scored, and had two doubles and two home runs. He registered multiple hits in three of the four games and had at least one run and one RBI in all four contests. In the Utes' weekend sweep of New Mexico, Cron went 6-for-13 (.462) with six RBIs and five runs. Cron finished the week with a .524 on-base percentage and .889 slugging percentage.
—Deseret News staff
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13