Former Alta star earns Pac-10 award
Kavin Keyes, a two-time all-state baseball player at Alta before graduating early, is the Pac-10's Player of the Week. Keyes, an Oregon State freshman, hit 6-for-11 in a three-game sweep over Stanford last week. He had the game-winning RBI in two of the three games against the Cardinal.
Keyes has hit safely in his last 14 games and is batting .446 with seven RBIs during the streak. He ranks second on the team with a .361 batting average and is hitting .452 in Pac-10 play, which is also second on the team.
Blaze's Boone gets AFL recognition
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Blaze wide receiver Aaron Boone earned the Spalding Highlight of the Week from the Arena Football League.
Boone's Highlight of the Week play came on a 14-yard reception from Blaze QB Tommy Grady in the second quarter of Utah's victory over the defending ArenaBowl XXIII Champion Spokane Shock. On that reception, Boone broke the franchise record for career receiving yards of 4,063, previously held by former Blaze WR Siaha Burley. Boone finished the night with 10 catches for 100 yards and three touchdowns. He now holds franchise records for receptions (370) and receiving yards (4,128) and is tied with Burley for career TDs (93).
Utes' Cron captures weekly honor
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah junior first baseman C.J. Cron has been named Mountain West Conference Co-Player of the Week.
Cron hit 8-for-18 (.444) for the week while leading Utah to a 3-1 mark on the road. Cron tallied eight RBIs, six runs scored, and had two doubles and two home runs. He registered multiple hits in three of the four games and had at least one run and one RBI in all four contests. In the Utes' weekend sweep of New Mexico, Cron went 6-for-13 (.462) with six RBIs and five runs. Cron finished the week with a .524 on-base percentage and .889 slugging percentage.
—Deseret News staff
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 49
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 21
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 17