SALT LAKE CITY — A month into its 181st year of existence, the Book of Mormon has surpassed a publishing milestone — the 150 millionth copy has recently been printed.
Officially titled "The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Christ," it is accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its more than 14 million members worldwide as scripture — one of the church's four sacred texts or sacred works, along with the Holy Bible, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.
From its first printing in March 1830 overseen by LDS Church founder/prophet Joseph Smith and performed by Egbert B. Grandin in his printing and sales shop, the Book of Mormon is now available fully translated in 82 languages and partially translated in another 25 languages.
It also is available in American Sign Language DVDs as well as in audio and online formats.
The Book of Mormon — used by others to give the Mormon "moniker" to the LDS Church and its members, culture and practices — is distributed free by the church's more than 52,000 missionaries worldwide as well as online at the church's web site.
In 2003, Book magazine included the Book of Mormon as one of its "20 Books That Changed America," saying "the book provides the theological underpinnings for one of the world's most vibrant religions."
The LDS Church announced the 150 millionth milestone on its web site this week.
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Family frustrated with lack of charges in...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Man killed in officer-involved shooting in...
- Provo transit project set to begin, despite...
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint claims...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16