SALT LAKE CITY — A month into its 181st year of existence, the Book of Mormon has surpassed a publishing milestone — the 150 millionth copy has recently been printed.
Officially titled "The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Christ," it is accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its more than 14 million members worldwide as scripture — one of the church's four sacred texts or sacred works, along with the Holy Bible, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.
From its first printing in March 1830 overseen by LDS Church founder/prophet Joseph Smith and performed by Egbert B. Grandin in his printing and sales shop, the Book of Mormon is now available fully translated in 82 languages and partially translated in another 25 languages.
It also is available in American Sign Language DVDs as well as in audio and online formats.
The Book of Mormon — used by others to give the Mormon "moniker" to the LDS Church and its members, culture and practices — is distributed free by the church's more than 52,000 missionaries worldwide as well as online at the church's web site.
In 2003, Book magazine included the Book of Mormon as one of its "20 Books That Changed America," saying "the book provides the theological underpinnings for one of the world's most vibrant religions."
The LDS Church announced the 150 millionth milestone on its web site this week.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- 2 children critically injured in wrong-way...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Judge sets November hearing for ex-A.G.s Mark...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 38
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 32
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15