Griffin has also appreciated his connection with the U. The former California prep star has returned for reunions each year since being drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the third round of the 1981 NFL Draft. His NFL career ended in 1987 with the Philadelphia Eagles.
At Utah, the defensive back made quite an impact. He recovered five fumbles as a freshman and returned three interceptions for touchdowns as a sophomore.
Griffin earned all-conference recognition the next two seasons, capping his senior season with second-team All-America recognition. He had 12 unassisted tackles against Nebraska that year.
Despite the numbers and success, Griffin acknowledged being a bit surprised by his induction.
"It means a whole lot," he said.
Griffin still follows the Utes in football and is eager to see them compete in the Pac-12.
"All I can say is that I started all this," he said with a laugh. "I'm just kidding. I think it's great. I think it's great where the program is going from the time I was playing to now is fantastic."
Utah's lone female honoree in 2011 also laid some pivotal groundwork for current success. Stednitz was the first U. gymnast to win multiple individual NCAA titles. Her success helped the Utes claim team championships in 1982 and 1983.
As a freshman, Stednitz won the all-around crown. She also took top honors on the balance beam and earned All-America finishes on vault and in the floor exercise.
A knee injury at regionals ended her career as a sophomore. She was a student assistant at Utah before moving back home to California.
Stednitz said being named to the Utah Hall of Fame is phenomenal.
"My cool meter with my kids has gone up exponentially," she explained. "They're young enough to appreciate this."
Besides paying tribute to the Hall of Famers, the university honored its graduating senior student-athletes. More than 500 tickets were sold for the banquet.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 28