Griffin has also appreciated his connection with the U. The former California prep star has returned for reunions each year since being drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the third round of the 1981 NFL Draft. His NFL career ended in 1987 with the Philadelphia Eagles.
At Utah, the defensive back made quite an impact. He recovered five fumbles as a freshman and returned three interceptions for touchdowns as a sophomore.
Griffin earned all-conference recognition the next two seasons, capping his senior season with second-team All-America recognition. He had 12 unassisted tackles against Nebraska that year.
Despite the numbers and success, Griffin acknowledged being a bit surprised by his induction.
"It means a whole lot," he said.
Griffin still follows the Utes in football and is eager to see them compete in the Pac-12.
"All I can say is that I started all this," he said with a laugh. "I'm just kidding. I think it's great. I think it's great where the program is going from the time I was playing to now is fantastic."
Utah's lone female honoree in 2011 also laid some pivotal groundwork for current success. Stednitz was the first U. gymnast to win multiple individual NCAA titles. Her success helped the Utes claim team championships in 1982 and 1983.
As a freshman, Stednitz won the all-around crown. She also took top honors on the balance beam and earned All-America finishes on vault and in the floor exercise.
A knee injury at regionals ended her career as a sophomore. She was a student assistant at Utah before moving back home to California.
Stednitz said being named to the Utah Hall of Fame is phenomenal.
"My cool meter with my kids has gone up exponentially," she explained. "They're young enough to appreciate this."
Besides paying tribute to the Hall of Famers, the university honored its graduating senior student-athletes. More than 500 tickets were sold for the banquet.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7