Griffin has also appreciated his connection with the U. The former California prep star has returned for reunions each year since being drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the third round of the 1981 NFL Draft. His NFL career ended in 1987 with the Philadelphia Eagles.
At Utah, the defensive back made quite an impact. He recovered five fumbles as a freshman and returned three interceptions for touchdowns as a sophomore.
Griffin earned all-conference recognition the next two seasons, capping his senior season with second-team All-America recognition. He had 12 unassisted tackles against Nebraska that year.
Despite the numbers and success, Griffin acknowledged being a bit surprised by his induction.
"It means a whole lot," he said.
Griffin still follows the Utes in football and is eager to see them compete in the Pac-12.
"All I can say is that I started all this," he said with a laugh. "I'm just kidding. I think it's great. I think it's great where the program is going from the time I was playing to now is fantastic."
Utah's lone female honoree in 2011 also laid some pivotal groundwork for current success. Stednitz was the first U. gymnast to win multiple individual NCAA titles. Her success helped the Utes claim team championships in 1982 and 1983.
As a freshman, Stednitz won the all-around crown. She also took top honors on the balance beam and earned All-America finishes on vault and in the floor exercise.
A knee injury at regionals ended her career as a sophomore. She was a student assistant at Utah before moving back home to California.
Stednitz said being named to the Utah Hall of Fame is phenomenal.
"My cool meter with my kids has gone up exponentially," she explained. "They're young enough to appreciate this."
Besides paying tribute to the Hall of Famers, the university honored its graduating senior student-athletes. More than 500 tickets were sold for the banquet.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23