Soccer: Stoke beats Bolton 5-0 to reach F.A. Cup final for first time
Stoke City will play in English soccer's F.A. Cup final for the first time after a 5-0 win over Bolton Wanderers Sunday at Wembley Stadium in London.
Matthew Etherington, Robert Huth, Kenwyne Jones and Jonathan Walters (two) scored for the Potters, who will face Manchester City in the Wembley final on May 14. City defeated Manchester United 1-0 two days ago in the other semifinal.
"We wanted to achieve something this year," Walters told ESPN. "It was a tough game but we did really well from back to front."
Both teams had early chances yesterday, Walters forcing a save from Jussi Jaaskelainen, then Martin Petrov had a shot deflected wide.
Stoke took an 11th-minute lead, Etherington curling a 20- yard shot into the net after four-time F.A. Cup winner Bolton gave away possession in defense.
Six minutes later, Huth volleyed past Jaaskelainen to double Stoke's advantage and after 30 minutes the lead was 3-0. Jermaine Pennant stole possession and slipped the ball to Jones to score.
Walters ended any hopes of a Bolton comeback after 68 minutes with the fourth goal, adding another goal 13 minutes later.
Bolton had been aiming for its first appearance in the final for 53 years since winning the title in 1958. Stoke was making only its fourth semifinal appearance.
"We are used to being the underdogs," Etherington told ESPN. "The manager said that before the game and we will be the underdogs in the final as well. Bring it on."
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25