LAS VEGAS — Corner infielders Dillon Robinson and Austin Hall teamed with BYU pitchers Saturday afternoon to provide a 9-5 victory over UNLV.
Hall beat out a single, stole second and scored on Robinson's two-run homer in the second inning. The duo struck big again in the fifth and seventh innings.
A two-run single by Robinson, a freshman third baseman, in the fifth proved to be the game-winning RBI, giving BYU a 6-1 lead at that point.
Hall tripled off the left-center wall to lead off the seventh and scored easily on the same play when the ball was bobbled to give BYU a 7-2 lead.
"I hit it pretty good and Coach (Ryan) Roberts told me I was going all the way," said Hall. "I've had a couple go off the wall this year, but haven't had one go over yet."?
BYU head coach Vance Law was ejected from the game for arguing a foul ball ruled fair near the right field line after Ryan Bernal dove in attempting the catch in the third inning.
SUU SPLITS SERIES: At Fort Wayne, Ind., Southern Utah put on an offensive display in Saturday's doubleheader, producing 28 hits and 31 runs in the two games. Unfortunately for the Thunderbirds only one of those runs game in the front end as IPFW claimed an 8-1 victory. SUU would bounce back in the second game with a 30-9 victory.
UTAH 15, NEW MEXICO 11: At Albuquerque, the Utah held on to win a wild shootout. New Mexico cut a 10-0 Utah lead to one run, 12-11, before the Utes pulled back ahead in the final innings. In a five-run first inning, Trey Nielsen hit a rare inside-the-park grand slam to right field. C.J. Cron had an RBI double in the second, and the Utes scored four runs on five hits in the fourth inning.
SLCC SWEEPS DH: At West Jordan, the top-ranked Bruins sweept of Colorado Northwestern 9-2 and 8-1.
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Morning links: National college... 68
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 38