SALT LAKE CITY — On a historical night in Utah Blaze wideout Aaron Boone's illustrious career, which saw him break the franchise record for total receptions and tie the all-time record for touchdowns — it all seemed bittersweet.
Boone most likely will undergo season-injury knee surgery that could translate to career-ending.
"I got some MRI results; I've been kind of struggling with the knee. It's been swelling up — so I went and got an MRI and it's not looking good," said Boone. "They recommend that I get some season-ending surgery. We'll take another look at it Monday, and make some decisions and take it from there.
"I went into this game thinking it might be last. The decision will probably be Monday or so, unfortunately. I still came out and played tonight, but if it's a long-term risk then I got to make the right decision for my future"
This season Boone has achieved milestones of 100 touchdown receptions and 400 career catches. Last season, he garnered second-team All-Arena honors after hauling in 146 catches for 46 touchdowns and 1,448 yards.
Both the Blaze organization and coach Ron James declined to comment on the specifics of the injury.
Boone is currently atop the league in multiple receiving categories: first in yards per game (139.8), second in catches per game (11.40) and fourth in scoring (19.2 points per game)
"It was kind of an emotional night with Aaron Boone's last game," said Aaron Lesue. "Everything I've learned was from him, so we kind of got emotional in the locker room."
With Boone out of the lineup, Lesue, Alvance Robinson and Ernie Pierce are expected to bare most of the receiving duties for the remainder of the year.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will not go...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 119
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 72
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 67
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 52
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45