SALT LAKE CITY — On a historical night in Utah Blaze wideout Aaron Boone's illustrious career, which saw him break the franchise record for total receptions and tie the all-time record for touchdowns — it all seemed bittersweet.
Boone most likely will undergo season-injury knee surgery that could translate to career-ending.
"I got some MRI results; I've been kind of struggling with the knee. It's been swelling up — so I went and got an MRI and it's not looking good," said Boone. "They recommend that I get some season-ending surgery. We'll take another look at it Monday, and make some decisions and take it from there.
"I went into this game thinking it might be last. The decision will probably be Monday or so, unfortunately. I still came out and played tonight, but if it's a long-term risk then I got to make the right decision for my future"
This season Boone has achieved milestones of 100 touchdown receptions and 400 career catches. Last season, he garnered second-team All-Arena honors after hauling in 146 catches for 46 touchdowns and 1,448 yards.
Both the Blaze organization and coach Ron James declined to comment on the specifics of the injury.
Boone is currently atop the league in multiple receiving categories: first in yards per game (139.8), second in catches per game (11.40) and fourth in scoring (19.2 points per game)
"It was kind of an emotional night with Aaron Boone's last game," said Aaron Lesue. "Everything I've learned was from him, so we kind of got emotional in the locker room."
With Boone out of the lineup, Lesue, Alvance Robinson and Ernie Pierce are expected to bare most of the receiving duties for the remainder of the year.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 79
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 59
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 54
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34