SALT LAKE CITY — Another day, another extra-inning marathon for the Bees at Spring Mobile Ballpark. After the Bees won Tuesday's game in 13 innings, they one-upped themselves with a 5-4 win over Tucson in 15 mostly punchless innings.
The teams went scoreless from the end of the eighth inning until the bottom of the 15th, when Tucson's Bobby Kielty—who went 0-for-5 at the plate from his designated hitter spot before moving to the mound — allowed Jeremy Moore to drive in Kevin Milello for the game-winning run.
After going only seven innings against Reno in the first three games of the season, the Bees' last two against Tucson went a combined 28 frames.
The teams engaged in a constant back-and-forth, with Tucson striking first when Luis Durango tripled to right then scored on an Everth Cabrera single. Salt Lake evened the game in the fourth thanks to doubles by Paul McAnulty and Jeremy Moore.
Durango knocked in a run with another opposite-field triple then scored on another single by Cabrera—a virtual replay of earlier events—before the Bees tied it again thanks to a two-out double by Gil Velazquez.
For the second consecutive night, the Bees benefitted from the bullpen taking on a heavier-than-normal workload. Anthony Ortega gave up one run in 22?3 innings; Kevin Jepsen threw two scoreless innings: Barret Browning logged 21?3 innings without giving up a run.
Amalio Diaz pitched again—his third appearance of the young season—and got the Bees out of a jam in the top of the 13th. He entered with two runners on and only one out, then struck out Andy Parrino and induced a weak ground ball by Kielty to get out of the inning.
Diaz picked up the win after throwing a scoreless 22?3 innings. He struck out two and walked one while allowing only one hit.
Both teams squandered late chances—the Bees stranded Rian Kiniry after he led off the bottom of the 13th with a single, while Melillo started a slick double play for Salt Lake with Tucson's go-ahead runner on third to end the top of the 14th.
The teams will play again tonight at 6:35 p.m. at Spring Mobile Ballpark.
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 63
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 43
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 34
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 23
- Video: 100 days until college football... 18
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10