BASEBALL: Second-place BYU's baseball team ventures to UNLV for its first league games out-of-state at Las Vegas this Thursday.
BYU, now 17-12 overall and 5-3 in the Mountain West Conference, starts a three-game series at UNLV with Taylor Cole (3-1, 2.68) on the mound Thursday at 7 p.m. PT. Cole, a sophomore from Las Vegas will be facing his former coach in UNLV's Tim Chambers, in his first year at the Rebel helm. Cole pitched for Chambers at the College of Southern Nevada in 2008 before serving a mission.
UNLV began the week at 22-12 overall and 2-6 in the MWC. The Rebels play Tuesday at UC Riverside. When BYU and UNLV meet on Friday, it will be sophomore Chris Capper (3-2, 3.56) as the Cougar starter.
"Standings mean very little right now," said BYU coach Vance Law. "We haven't played everyone in our league yet, but it is nice we are playing well now. UNLV is a hitter-friendly ballpark, so our pitchers will have to be very sharp against a team with a different style of play and a new coach."
The Cougars won three of four games last week, losing the last contest to the weather. The cancelled BYU-Air Force game will be made up the end of May at the Academy. All of BYU's games at UNLV will be broadcast live locally over Radio 960 AM.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21