BASEBALL: Second-place BYU's baseball team ventures to UNLV for its first league games out-of-state at Las Vegas this Thursday.
BYU, now 17-12 overall and 5-3 in the Mountain West Conference, starts a three-game series at UNLV with Taylor Cole (3-1, 2.68) on the mound Thursday at 7 p.m. PT. Cole, a sophomore from Las Vegas will be facing his former coach in UNLV's Tim Chambers, in his first year at the Rebel helm. Cole pitched for Chambers at the College of Southern Nevada in 2008 before serving a mission.
UNLV began the week at 22-12 overall and 2-6 in the MWC. The Rebels play Tuesday at UC Riverside. When BYU and UNLV meet on Friday, it will be sophomore Chris Capper (3-2, 3.56) as the Cougar starter.
"Standings mean very little right now," said BYU coach Vance Law. "We haven't played everyone in our league yet, but it is nice we are playing well now. UNLV is a hitter-friendly ballpark, so our pitchers will have to be very sharp against a team with a different style of play and a new coach."
The Cougars won three of four games last week, losing the last contest to the weather. The cancelled BYU-Air Force game will be made up the end of May at the Academy. All of BYU's games at UNLV will be broadcast live locally over Radio 960 AM.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34