BASEBALL: Second-place BYU's baseball team ventures to UNLV for its first league games out-of-state at Las Vegas this Thursday.
BYU, now 17-12 overall and 5-3 in the Mountain West Conference, starts a three-game series at UNLV with Taylor Cole (3-1, 2.68) on the mound Thursday at 7 p.m. PT. Cole, a sophomore from Las Vegas will be facing his former coach in UNLV's Tim Chambers, in his first year at the Rebel helm. Cole pitched for Chambers at the College of Southern Nevada in 2008 before serving a mission.
UNLV began the week at 22-12 overall and 2-6 in the MWC. The Rebels play Tuesday at UC Riverside. When BYU and UNLV meet on Friday, it will be sophomore Chris Capper (3-2, 3.56) as the Cougar starter.
"Standings mean very little right now," said BYU coach Vance Law. "We haven't played everyone in our league yet, but it is nice we are playing well now. UNLV is a hitter-friendly ballpark, so our pitchers will have to be very sharp against a team with a different style of play and a new coach."
The Cougars won three of four games last week, losing the last contest to the weather. The cancelled BYU-Air Force game will be made up the end of May at the Academy. All of BYU's games at UNLV will be broadcast live locally over Radio 960 AM.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 172
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 114
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45