Ravell Call, Deseret News
Rookie Derrick Favors loves to dunk, rip rebounds off the glass, hit his improved mid-range shot and even play defense. But talk about himself? Not the favorite thing to do for this shy and quiet 19-year-old. Despite that, Favors offered up a a bonus sixth answer in this week's five questions:
Who was your mentor growing up?
My mom. (She) just helped me work hard and kept me level-headed with things and helped me fight through certain things. (Did she play basketball?) No. She was just a regular person, a regular hard-working person. She had two or three jobs. She showed me how hard you've got to work and you've got to fight through tough situations and just deal with the things. (Favors' uncle moved to Salt Lake City to help him acclimate to his new home.)
Who has helped you most in your basketball career?
All of my coaches. (They've) helped me get better. They've guided me through my whole basketball career. All of them.
What are your goals in the NBA?
Try to get better, try to win championships, get better and just become the best basketball player I can be. Everybody don't get (awards). You've just got to just play, go out there and play your hardest, continue to get better every day and try to work hard. If you get (awards), you get 'em. I don't try to aim to get 'em.
What has been the basketball highlight of your life?
Just being drafted. It's been a lifelong dream. I was excited. There was so many things going through my head and I was just excited and happy that I finally made it. I didn't know (who would pick me). They (teams) were doing so many different things I didn't know what was going to happen. (Favors was picked No. 3 overall by New Jersey last June. Utah had him ranked in the top two of the 2010 draft.)
What are your plans this summer?
Just work out. Keep getting better. Just continue to work on my game, work on specific parts of my game and continue to improve. I'll probably be (in Utah) most of the time.
Being from Atlanta, were you a Hawks fan?
I grew up watching the Lakers. My favorite player was Kobe growing up. I just love watching him play, watching the Lakers. (He doesn't love baseball but said he did watch the Braves on occasion.)
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- NFL cuts tracker (updated): Former BYU WR...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Damian Lillard finding success with rap...
- BYU's Mendenhall on the cusp of embarking on...
- Morning links: 'Unorthodox' Harbaugh; 'nice'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 91
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 63
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 30
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- Cougars looking for special season with... 26
- High school football: Parry's Power... 23
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23