Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette takes first step into business world with poster
Jimmer takes first step into business world with poster
All the experts I spoke to said Fredette should be in a big hurry to capitalize on his fame — that he may never be more popular than right now because of unforeseen variables once drafted.
None wanted to speak on the record because some are negotiating for representation.
"Jimmer ought to be getting as much done as he can: the shoe contract, other endorsements, the use of his name," said one agent. "He ought to register his name and license it back to BYU because the university is going to make a ton of money off him for years to come," said one agent.
Some experts believe Jimmer should sign an agent sooner rather than later because there are issues that need to be taken care of while he's hot with the awards.
Like the poster release this weekend in Orem.
Martin said the marketing plan for the Jimmer poster targets the next 100 days as a time for the height of sales because of his recent player of the year awards.
With the use of the Internet, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, there are national and worldwide avenues to sell a poster that never existed back in the Detmer days, when primarily the word went out only locally, said Martin.
That time, Detmer didn't receive a dime.
This time, Jimmer and his family will profit like Americans are wont to do.
Of course, it will be outside the realm of the NCAA, which restricts student athletes from profiting from their image while in school. But the NCAA accepts billions of dollars from CBS for the rights to televise the NCAA Tournament.
Yes, open the door.
It is another kind of Jimmer Time.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be Utah's...
- Whittingham dishes on stadium expansion,...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 65
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 47
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 39
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 32
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 29