Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette takes first step into business world with poster
Jimmer takes first step into business world with poster
All the experts I spoke to said Fredette should be in a big hurry to capitalize on his fame — that he may never be more popular than right now because of unforeseen variables once drafted.
None wanted to speak on the record because some are negotiating for representation.
"Jimmer ought to be getting as much done as he can: the shoe contract, other endorsements, the use of his name," said one agent. "He ought to register his name and license it back to BYU because the university is going to make a ton of money off him for years to come," said one agent.
Some experts believe Jimmer should sign an agent sooner rather than later because there are issues that need to be taken care of while he's hot with the awards.
Like the poster release this weekend in Orem.
Martin said the marketing plan for the Jimmer poster targets the next 100 days as a time for the height of sales because of his recent player of the year awards.
With the use of the Internet, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, there are national and worldwide avenues to sell a poster that never existed back in the Detmer days, when primarily the word went out only locally, said Martin.
That time, Detmer didn't receive a dime.
This time, Jimmer and his family will profit like Americans are wont to do.
Of course, it will be outside the realm of the NCAA, which restricts student athletes from profiting from their image while in school. But the NCAA accepts billions of dollars from CBS for the rights to televise the NCAA Tournament.
Yes, open the door.
It is another kind of Jimmer Time.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15