A Facebook page was launched last summer, and the store also sends marketing information to customers via e-mail. The store has offered special discounts through online coupon sites Half Off Depot (a Courier & Press program), Seize the Deal and Groupon.
Also changing with the times is the selection of merchandise that the store carries. In the flower-child era, for instance, the store carried posters and black lights.
"It always carried a product that was relevant for the current day," Nathan Kluger said.
During the recent recession, Nathan Kluger said, he noticed that consumers were more interested in purchasing garden items and consumable goods such as food, bath products and plants — so the store started carrying more of those items.
Nathan Kluger said he aims, as much as possible, to carry locally and regionally produced products. Currently, those items include handmade pottery, honey and coffee.
Robert Kluger said his father's community approach to business has helped the Newburgh Country Store, but also the community in general.
"What's good for somebody else in Newburgh is probably good for me."
Nathan Kluger agreed, saying that a place such as the Newburgh Country Store contributes to the Tri-State's economic health overall.
Big business is important to an area, he said, but so are the locally owned businesses.
As an example, Nathan said, local residents often bring out-of-town visitors to the country store.
If the visitors enjoy their shopping experience, this can help the visitors develop a positive feeling about Southwestern Indiana in general.
"We cannot define ourselves by the number of Wal-Marts we have within five minutes," Nathan said.
"You cannot have a rich experience for the people who live in the region without the other side of the story — and this (store) is part of that."
Information from: Evansville Courier & Press, http://www.courierpress.com
- Obama OKs federal aid for West Virginia; at...
- At least 14 killed in Somalia hotel attack;...
- In need of help, Trump finds few willing to...
- Behind the support for Brexit and Trump:...
- Officials: California wildfire destroys 200...
- Pope visits Armenia's closed border with...
- Trump camp scrambles to shape up before GOP...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 52
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 40
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 37
- Did Trump really just become a... 37
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Final Benghazi report: No 'smoking gun'... 27
- Trump gets rock-bottom ratings in... 26