A Facebook page was launched last summer, and the store also sends marketing information to customers via e-mail. The store has offered special discounts through online coupon sites Half Off Depot (a Courier & Press program), Seize the Deal and Groupon.
Also changing with the times is the selection of merchandise that the store carries. In the flower-child era, for instance, the store carried posters and black lights.
"It always carried a product that was relevant for the current day," Nathan Kluger said.
During the recent recession, Nathan Kluger said, he noticed that consumers were more interested in purchasing garden items and consumable goods such as food, bath products and plants — so the store started carrying more of those items.
Nathan Kluger said he aims, as much as possible, to carry locally and regionally produced products. Currently, those items include handmade pottery, honey and coffee.
Robert Kluger said his father's community approach to business has helped the Newburgh Country Store, but also the community in general.
"What's good for somebody else in Newburgh is probably good for me."
Nathan Kluger agreed, saying that a place such as the Newburgh Country Store contributes to the Tri-State's economic health overall.
Big business is important to an area, he said, but so are the locally owned businesses.
As an example, Nathan said, local residents often bring out-of-town visitors to the country store.
If the visitors enjoy their shopping experience, this can help the visitors develop a positive feeling about Southwestern Indiana in general.
"We cannot define ourselves by the number of Wal-Marts we have within five minutes," Nathan said.
"You cannot have a rich experience for the people who live in the region without the other side of the story — and this (store) is part of that."
Information from: Evansville Courier & Press, http://www.courierpress.com
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters...
- Bridezilla, meet 'Bridechilla'
- Obama announces new birth control fixes for...
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core
- Deported Mexicans find new life at call centers
- How poverty plays a role in Ferguson
- Photographer is using portraits to combat...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 119
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 29
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban... 17
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 15