The day before persistent rumors that Glenn Beck would leave Fox News morphed into reality, the Deseret News posed a hypothetical question to avowed Beck supporter Rep. Jason Chaffetz: How would Beck leaving Fox News affect his sway in the Beehive State?
"He's got such a big, broad following at the moment," Chaffetz said. "I'd hate to think that he's losing that ability to watch him on television, but he's got a great radio audience too. He has an exceptionally far reach and is very influential in the state of Utah."
Indeed, the expansive breadth of Beck's media company Mercury Radio Arts means that Beck still has significant reach and influence even after Wednesday's announcement that the Glenn Beck Program on Fox News will cease operations before the end of the year.
Financially, Beck's imminent departure from his daily television show may actually prove beneficial to him. Last year Forbes detailed that Beck's media company Mercury Radio Arts pulled in over $32 million during the 12-month period ending March 31, 2010 — but only $2 million came from Beck's salary at Fox News. (Among the income streams which made more money for Beck than his Fox News gig: print publications such as books and magazines, $13 million; his syndicated radio program, $10 million; the sale of Glenn Beck merchandise and ads for the GlennBeck.com website, $4 million; and speaking and appearance fees, $3 million.) Once he's freed from the daily commitment to Fox News, it's quite conceivable that Beck will be able to make back his Fox salary and then some by continuing to grow a media empire that employs over 30 full-time staffers.
Although the daily television show will be kaput, Beck's relationship with Fox News will evolve and continue. "I'm developing other content for Fox through specials and other things, on television and beyond," Beck announced on his show Wednesday.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 15