WEST VALLEY CITY — The Stockton Thunder scored 3:54 into sudden-death overtime to edge the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 on Wednesday night and tied up their best-of-five series at one game apiece.
J.P. Lamoureux stopped 39 of 42 shots in the game and all 29 through two periods as Utah held a 1-0 lead after 40 minutes. The Grizzlies took the lead on a first-period power-play goal from Giffen Nyren 8:56 into the opening frame.
Stockton scored two messy goals in front of the net in a span of 3:29 to erase the 1-0 deficit and take a 2-1 third-period lead. The lead held for only 2:46 before Brett Parnham tied it on a power-play goal to tie things up at 2-2 with 4:55 left in regulation. Simon Ferguson and Matt Reber picked up the assists.
Utah vs. Stockton
Game 1: Utah 5, Stockton 2
Game 2: Stockton 3, Utah 2 (OT)
Game 3: Saturday, April 9, Utah at Stockton, 8:30 p.m.
Game 4: Sunday, April 10, Utah at Stockton, 5 p.m.*
Game 5: Tuesday, April 12, Utah at Stockton, 8 p.m.*
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23