Dick Harmon: BYU, Dave Rose is a marriage made in basketball heaven
Remember, BYU's Marriott School of Business Management is ranked one of the top programs in the nation. There are advisors working with BYU who have created wealth many times over.
Holmoe spoke of "future things" that would be done differently with BYU's program, changes that would be for the good. He didn't elaborate.
But, this wasn't about the money, according to everyone who spoke at the presser. It was about the right fit and supporting the right man for the job and a message more important than scores or wins or coin.
Holmoe, Samuelson and Rose made that clear.
Consider, wins aside, under Rose BYU has had the most consistent academic performance from its basketball athletes than any in the country.
Rose has the fourth-highest winning percentage among active coaches (159-45) at .779.
He just coached the national scoring champion and player of the year.
Rose has averaged 26.5 wins a season at a school where before he arrived, BYU had just one season with 28 wins and that was 59 years ago, back in 1950-51.
Wednesday was a no-brainer for BYU's administration. You could see it coming from afar.
Dave Rose and the word success? A trend? No mistake about it.
A keeper? Let nothing stand in the way.
An investment? Hold, don't sell.
Yes, there is a leap into a new conference on the horizon for BYU, and the Cougars are not doing it with a rookie.
Both BYU and Rose agreed this week to extend their marriage. At least they have something in place for the next five years, or at such time that the whole shindig needs to be redone again.
And this contract? It is something never witnessed before in Provo.
This kind of BYU faith in an athletic coach, with its accompanying legal chain is extraordinarily symbolic.
Said Edwards, "Yes, times have certainly changed."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21