Dick Harmon: BYU, Dave Rose is a marriage made in basketball heaven
Remember, BYU's Marriott School of Business Management is ranked one of the top programs in the nation. There are advisors working with BYU who have created wealth many times over.
Holmoe spoke of "future things" that would be done differently with BYU's program, changes that would be for the good. He didn't elaborate.
But, this wasn't about the money, according to everyone who spoke at the presser. It was about the right fit and supporting the right man for the job and a message more important than scores or wins or coin.
Holmoe, Samuelson and Rose made that clear.
Consider, wins aside, under Rose BYU has had the most consistent academic performance from its basketball athletes than any in the country.
Rose has the fourth-highest winning percentage among active coaches (159-45) at .779.
He just coached the national scoring champion and player of the year.
Rose has averaged 26.5 wins a season at a school where before he arrived, BYU had just one season with 28 wins and that was 59 years ago, back in 1950-51.
Wednesday was a no-brainer for BYU's administration. You could see it coming from afar.
Dave Rose and the word success? A trend? No mistake about it.
A keeper? Let nothing stand in the way.
An investment? Hold, don't sell.
Yes, there is a leap into a new conference on the horizon for BYU, and the Cougars are not doing it with a rookie.
Both BYU and Rose agreed this week to extend their marriage. At least they have something in place for the next five years, or at such time that the whole shindig needs to be redone again.
And this contract? It is something never witnessed before in Provo.
This kind of BYU faith in an athletic coach, with its accompanying legal chain is extraordinarily symbolic.
Said Edwards, "Yes, times have certainly changed."
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24