CAIRO — A small bomb exploded near Egypt's iconic pyramids on Wednesday, badly injuring three peddlers of tourist trinkets that police said were trying to open the casing of the old abandoned munition.
The bomb exploded some 500 feet (150 meters) from the pyramids outside Cairo after the peddlers saw the edge of the device sticking out of the sand and began hitting it with iron sticks under the impression there were valuables inside, said security officials.
The three men were seriously wounded, the officials added, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.
It was not clear how a leftover piece of ordnance ended up in the desert near the pyramids, where no major battle has been fought since 1798, when Napoleon's army routed Egypt's Mamluk rulers in a pitched battle.
Millions of tourists visit the site annually and take camel and horseback rides around the grounds of the 4,500 year old monuments.
Egypt was the site of titanic tank battles during World War II, but these were confined to the deserts around the northern coast and the later wars with neighboring Israel were focused around the Suez Canal and the Sinai Peninsula, far to the east.
No extremist group has claimed the bomb, nor have any groups made public threats against the ancient site.
The explosion may further rattle tourists, who have largely stayed away from the country since demonstrators overthrew President Hosni Mubarak in February.
Crime and lawlessness have been on the rise in the once tightly controlled country, with police reluctant to head back to their posts.
- Six Ferguson officers face federal lawsuits...
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Fear spreads as Ebola moves from remote areas...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad rights...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 44
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13