Utah Utes basketball: Hiring new assistant coaches Larry Krystkowiak's 'first priority'
SALT LAKE CITY — New Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak is eager to get a staff in place. So much so, in fact, that he called a few guys Monday morning — hours before his introductory news conference in the Huntsman Center.
"It's the first priority in my mind that we need to do," Krystkowiak said..
Finding quality coaches and recruiters to share the workload may not be all that difficult. Krystkowiak doesn't think there will be a shortage of candidates.
"I don't think I'm surprising anybody when I tell you that there's a lot of people interested in coming here," he said.
Utah athletics director Chris Hill acknowledged it's a topic that he has discussed with Krystkowiak.
"I think he's very interested in getting some people that know Utah basketball and recruiting here and elsewhere," Hill said. "We've talked a lot about who he would like to have as an assistant coach pool. I've had my input. At the end of the day, the coach is going to make those decisions. Larry's open to comments and what we may be interested in."
After Monday's press conference, former Ute star Josh Grant said he'd like to assist Krystkowiak.
"Absolutely. With that guy, heck, yeah," Grant said. "I liked what I heard."
Grant, who played for Utah from 1988-93 and is the program's No. 3 career scorer, appreciates the new coach's ideas and values. He hasn't spoken with Krystkowiak yet, but would love to it down and speak with him.
"If he has an interest in me, that would be great," Grant said.
Another former Ute, Chris Fulton (1986-88), has also expressed interest. He has extensive coaching experience internationally and in the Midwest.
Other alumni being speculated for consideration include Britton Johnsen, Alex Jensen, Tommy Connor and Jeff Judkins. Former assistant coach Donny Daniels is also rumored to be in the mix.
Contributing: Mike Sorensen
- Big 12 commissioner: Some in league feel...
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45