Utah Utes basketball: Hiring new assistant coaches Larry Krystkowiak's 'first priority'
SALT LAKE CITY — New Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak is eager to get a staff in place. So much so, in fact, that he called a few guys Monday morning — hours before his introductory news conference in the Huntsman Center.
"It's the first priority in my mind that we need to do," Krystkowiak said..
Finding quality coaches and recruiters to share the workload may not be all that difficult. Krystkowiak doesn't think there will be a shortage of candidates.
"I don't think I'm surprising anybody when I tell you that there's a lot of people interested in coming here," he said.
Utah athletics director Chris Hill acknowledged it's a topic that he has discussed with Krystkowiak.
"I think he's very interested in getting some people that know Utah basketball and recruiting here and elsewhere," Hill said. "We've talked a lot about who he would like to have as an assistant coach pool. I've had my input. At the end of the day, the coach is going to make those decisions. Larry's open to comments and what we may be interested in."
After Monday's press conference, former Ute star Josh Grant said he'd like to assist Krystkowiak.
"Absolutely. With that guy, heck, yeah," Grant said. "I liked what I heard."
Grant, who played for Utah from 1988-93 and is the program's No. 3 career scorer, appreciates the new coach's ideas and values. He hasn't spoken with Krystkowiak yet, but would love to it down and speak with him.
"If he has an interest in me, that would be great," Grant said.
Another former Ute, Chris Fulton (1986-88), has also expressed interest. He has extensive coaching experience internationally and in the Midwest.
Other alumni being speculated for consideration include Britton Johnsen, Alex Jensen, Tommy Connor and Jeff Judkins. Former assistant coach Donny Daniels is also rumored to be in the mix.
Contributing: Mike Sorensen
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16