Mary Foster, Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS — A United flight from New Orleans to San Francisco returned to the New Orleans airport within minutes after takeoff Monday, with light white smoke coming from an engine.
The plane was rocking back and forth in windy weather, and never gained much altitude.
As soon as Flight 497 was back on the ground, flight attendants began shouting "Leave everything. Get out! Get out!" An Associated Press reporter aboard the flight said passengers slid down the front and back slides.
There was no announcement, and no interior lights or seat belt announcements were turned on.
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport...
- Photo gallery: Celebrating Easter across the...
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Costa Rican a celebrity after certified miracle
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's affirmative...
- Summer movie preview: Hollywood bets big again
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 25
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in... 12
- Judge: Indiana hasn't given valid... 12
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's... 12
- Some countries get Obama, but want his... 11
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 11
- Democrats eye 15 cities for 2016... 10
- Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot... 8