Mary Foster, Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS — A United flight from New Orleans to San Francisco returned to the New Orleans airport within minutes after takeoff Monday, with light white smoke coming from an engine.
The plane was rocking back and forth in windy weather, and never gained much altitude.
As soon as Flight 497 was back on the ground, flight attendants began shouting "Leave everything. Get out! Get out!" An Associated Press reporter aboard the flight said passengers slid down the front and back slides.
There was no announcement, and no interior lights or seat belt announcements were turned on.
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Survivors visit Auschwitz a day ahead of 70th...
- Chess in schools: bringing the classic mind...
- Want to help a sex trafficking victim get on...
- 'Potentially historic' blizzard threatens NYC...
- Miss Colombia crowned Miss Universe in Miami
- Obama seeks bigger wilderness designation in...
- Vaccinate the economy against disease
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 83
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 28
- House Republicans run into divisions... 21
- Measles outbreak casts spotlight on... 20
- Analysis: Obama seizes on recovery,... 17
- Idaho has 22 breeding wolf pairs, an... 12
- Religious response to postponed... 11