Mary Foster, Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS — A United flight from New Orleans to San Francisco returned to the New Orleans airport within minutes after takeoff Monday, with light white smoke coming from an engine.
The plane was rocking back and forth in windy weather, and never gained much altitude.
As soon as Flight 497 was back on the ground, flight attendants began shouting "Leave everything. Get out! Get out!" An Associated Press reporter aboard the flight said passengers slid down the front and back slides.
There was no announcement, and no interior lights or seat belt announcements were turned on.
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015
- The best (and worst) states when it comes to...
- Britain mourns aid worker slain by Islamic...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 19
- US, Arab allies committed to fighting... 15
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 10