WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Bakersfield Condors 2-1 in a shootout Saturday night at the Maverik Center before 6,629 fans in the regular-season finale for both teams.
Utah (33-32-4-3) opens the ECHL playoffs Tuesday and Wednesday at the Maverik Center against the Stockton Thunder in a best-of-five series.
J.P. Lamoureux, in his first game at the Maverik Center since back-to-back shutouts against Victoria on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1, stopped 44 of 45 shots in the game and all five in the shootout to help give Utah the win.
Lamoureux had spent the previous three months with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat, which is the AHL affiliate for the NHL's Calgary Flames.
"His mental strength is amazing. He's excited to be here and he was outstanding," Utah assistant coach Leigh Mendelson said of Lamoureux.
Utah led 1-0 for 11:59 in the second period when Matt Clarke buried a goal for the Grizzlies, as he took a beautiful feed on an odd-man rush from rookie Matt Reber in his first pro game.
Paul McIlveen was the only player on either side to score in the shootout.
Tuesday is a Jumping Jack Cash 2-For-1 Tuesday with select lower-bowl tickets available in a buy-one-get-one-free offer. Wednesday is a Wild $2 Wednesday with $2 Hot Dogs, $2 Fries, $2 Soft Drinks and $2 Draft Beers, plus $5 student tickets.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 30
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22