WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Bakersfield Condors 2-1 in a shootout Saturday night at the Maverik Center before 6,629 fans in the regular-season finale for both teams.
Utah (33-32-4-3) opens the ECHL playoffs Tuesday and Wednesday at the Maverik Center against the Stockton Thunder in a best-of-five series.
J.P. Lamoureux, in his first game at the Maverik Center since back-to-back shutouts against Victoria on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1, stopped 44 of 45 shots in the game and all five in the shootout to help give Utah the win.
Lamoureux had spent the previous three months with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat, which is the AHL affiliate for the NHL's Calgary Flames.
"His mental strength is amazing. He's excited to be here and he was outstanding," Utah assistant coach Leigh Mendelson said of Lamoureux.
Utah led 1-0 for 11:59 in the second period when Matt Clarke buried a goal for the Grizzlies, as he took a beautiful feed on an odd-man rush from rookie Matt Reber in his first pro game.
Paul McIlveen was the only player on either side to score in the shootout.
Tuesday is a Jumping Jack Cash 2-For-1 Tuesday with select lower-bowl tickets available in a buy-one-get-one-free offer. Wednesday is a Wild $2 Wednesday with $2 Hot Dogs, $2 Fries, $2 Soft Drinks and $2 Draft Beers, plus $5 student tickets.
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 96
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 19
- Jazz lose to undermanned, tired... 16