WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Bakersfield Condors 2-1 in a shootout Saturday night at the Maverik Center before 6,629 fans in the regular-season finale for both teams.
Utah (33-32-4-3) opens the ECHL playoffs Tuesday and Wednesday at the Maverik Center against the Stockton Thunder in a best-of-five series.
J.P. Lamoureux, in his first game at the Maverik Center since back-to-back shutouts against Victoria on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1, stopped 44 of 45 shots in the game and all five in the shootout to help give Utah the win.
Lamoureux had spent the previous three months with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat, which is the AHL affiliate for the NHL's Calgary Flames.
"His mental strength is amazing. He's excited to be here and he was outstanding," Utah assistant coach Leigh Mendelson said of Lamoureux.
Utah led 1-0 for 11:59 in the second period when Matt Clarke buried a goal for the Grizzlies, as he took a beautiful feed on an odd-man rush from rookie Matt Reber in his first pro game.
Paul McIlveen was the only player on either side to score in the shootout.
Tuesday is a Jumping Jack Cash 2-For-1 Tuesday with select lower-bowl tickets available in a buy-one-get-one-free offer. Wednesday is a Wild $2 Wednesday with $2 Hot Dogs, $2 Fries, $2 Soft Drinks and $2 Draft Beers, plus $5 student tickets.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35