WEST VALLEY CITY — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Bakersfield Condors 2-1 in a shootout Saturday night at the Maverik Center before 6,629 fans in the regular-season finale for both teams.
Utah (33-32-4-3) opens the ECHL playoffs Tuesday and Wednesday at the Maverik Center against the Stockton Thunder in a best-of-five series.
J.P. Lamoureux, in his first game at the Maverik Center since back-to-back shutouts against Victoria on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1, stopped 44 of 45 shots in the game and all five in the shootout to help give Utah the win.
Lamoureux had spent the previous three months with the AHL's Abbotsford Heat, which is the AHL affiliate for the NHL's Calgary Flames.
"His mental strength is amazing. He's excited to be here and he was outstanding," Utah assistant coach Leigh Mendelson said of Lamoureux.
Utah led 1-0 for 11:59 in the second period when Matt Clarke buried a goal for the Grizzlies, as he took a beautiful feed on an odd-man rush from rookie Matt Reber in his first pro game.
Paul McIlveen was the only player on either side to score in the shootout.
Tuesday is a Jumping Jack Cash 2-For-1 Tuesday with select lower-bowl tickets available in a buy-one-get-one-free offer. Wednesday is a Wild $2 Wednesday with $2 Hot Dogs, $2 Fries, $2 Soft Drinks and $2 Draft Beers, plus $5 student tickets.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 60
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 25
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14