SAN ANGELO, Texas — Trial dates have been set for polygamous church leader Warren Jeffs to face charges of bigamy and sexual assault of a child in Texas.
Prosecutors allege the jailed leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had sex with two girls, one under age 14 and the other under age 17.
The San Angelo Standard-Times reports that a judge on Wednesday scheduled a July 25 trial for the sexual assault case and an Oct. 3 trial for the bigamy charge.
Charges against the 55-year-old Jeffs stem from a 2008 raid of the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Eldorado, when authorities seized and temporarily placed 439 children in state custody.
Seven men in the polygamist sect were eventually convicted of child sexual assault and abuse.
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21