SAN ANGELO, Texas — Trial dates have been set for polygamous church leader Warren Jeffs to face charges of bigamy and sexual assault of a child in Texas.
Prosecutors allege the jailed leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had sex with two girls, one under age 14 and the other under age 17.
The San Angelo Standard-Times reports that a judge on Wednesday scheduled a July 25 trial for the sexual assault case and an Oct. 3 trial for the bigamy charge.
Charges against the 55-year-old Jeffs stem from a 2008 raid of the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Eldorado, when authorities seized and temporarily placed 439 children in state custody.
Seven men in the polygamist sect were eventually convicted of child sexual assault and abuse.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 26
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14