Curtis Granderson will return to the Yankees lineup Thursday. Out with a strained muscle since March 22, the center fielder had two doubles and an RBI in a minor league game in Tampa, Fla., and said he was hoping to fly to New York Wednesday night.
Leyland was set on his lineup, and wasn't feeling particularly interested in discussing the different looks his team could have this season, especially with second baseman Carlos Guillen starting the season on the disabled list.
"I don't know why everybody keeps making a big deal about lineups," Leyland said. "We've got the big boys in the middle, we've got some speed up top, we got a little power at the bottom. That's what it is."
NOTES: A.J. Burnett had a bad head cold and it was uncertain if he'll be able to make his start for New York on Saturday. ... Leyland said he will not talk about his contract status this season. In the last year of his two-year extension, Leyland said his father once gave him some advice, "If you go to work worrying about your job you don't have a job." ... Tigers RHP Joel Zumaya (right elbow) was placed on the 15-day DL along with Guillen (left knee) on Wednesday. They both remained in Florida for rehabilitation as planned. ... Detroit non-roster invitee RHP Enrique Gonzalez's contract was purchased from Triple-A Toledo and he was added to the Tigers roster. To make room on the 40-man roster the, Tigers outrighted INF Audy Ciriaco to Double-A Erie. ... The Yankees signed RHP Luis Ayala, RHP Bartolo Colon, RHP Freddy Garcia and C Gustavo Molina to major league contracts and added them to the Yankees' roster. Ayala is taking the place of LHP Pedro Feliciano, who was put on the 15-day disabled list along with C Francisco Cervelli. Both are retroactive to March 22.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16