Former Weber State football player J.D. Folsom has recently been awarded the NCAA post-graduate scholarship. Folsom is one of 29 male student-athletes from Divisions I, II, and III awarded the prestigious scholarship for the fall sports season. The scholarships are awarded to student-athletes who excel academically and athletically and who are at least in their final year of intercollegiate athletics competition.
Folsom was a two-year starter and letter-winner for the Wildcats after a two-year career at Snow Junior College. As a senior in 2008, Folsom earned First Team All-Big Sky Conference honors helping the Wildcats to a share of the Big Sky title, WSU's first title since 1968. Folsom had 76 total tackles, 27 unassisted, with four tackles for loss, one interception, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. In 2007, he was named Second Team All-Big Sky.
For his career, Folsom had 149 total tackles, 57 unassisted, along with two quarterback sacks, 9.5 tackles for loss, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.
He was selected in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins. He appeared in two games in 2009 for the Dolphins. In 2010 he was a member of the practice squads for the Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals, and is currently with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Folsom was a standout in the classroom with a 3.57 G.P.A. in Zoology. He was named to the Big Sky All-Academic Team both in 2007 and 2008 and was named the 2008-09 Weber State Male Big Sky Scholar-Athlete.
The NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship was created in 1964 to promote and encourage postgraduate education by rewarding the Association's most accomplished student-athletes through their participation in NCAA championship and/or emerging sports. Athletics and academic achievements, as well as campus involvement, community service, volunteer activities and demonstrated leadership, are evaluated.
The one-time grants of $7,500 each are awarded for fall sports, winter sports and spring sports. Each sports season (fall, winter and spring) there are 29 scholarships available for men and 29 scholarships available for women. The scholarships are one-time, non-renewable grants.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 82
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 37