Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette-bashing column the latest in a litany of criticism from Colorado
"From now on, nobody older than 23 at the start of a season should be allowed to play college football. Look, nobody's criticizing Mormon missions. If you feel the calling, good for you. However, the mission isn't required by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and it's perfectly fine to go on one after you finish college, or even after you retire. Nobody is limiting anybody's religious freedom here, but it's not fair that these BYU players get to go back, suit up and kick the bejesus out of kids fresh out of high school.
"That stuff just isn't Christian."
A fourth controversial shot at Utah's culture from Denver came from Post columnist Woody Paige during the 2002 Olympics hosted by Salt Lake City. A contemporary of Mariotti at Denver's largest newspaper, Paige worked with Mariotti at the News in the late '80s and appeared on ESPN's "Around the Horn" show when it began.
Paige wrote a column making fun of LDS culture, everything from polygamy, Jell-O, alcohol, coffee, and caffeine. It drew so much criticism the Denver Post pulled it off its website and Paige issued a public apology to Utah, even calling the Deseret News with an apology.
Last week in Denver, Paige did author a flattering column about Fredette and even quoted scripture from the Book of Mormon.
So, one may ask why Reilly took such a major shot at Fredette, a player he apparently only saw in person one time in his worst game of the year against Florida last week in the Sweet 16?
I don't know.
But as any detective will tell you, look for patterns. There is no such thing as coincidence.
This looks like a pattern, doesn't it?
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 121
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 11