Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette-bashing column the latest in a litany of criticism from Colorado
"From now on, nobody older than 23 at the start of a season should be allowed to play college football. Look, nobody's criticizing Mormon missions. If you feel the calling, good for you. However, the mission isn't required by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and it's perfectly fine to go on one after you finish college, or even after you retire. Nobody is limiting anybody's religious freedom here, but it's not fair that these BYU players get to go back, suit up and kick the bejesus out of kids fresh out of high school.
"That stuff just isn't Christian."
A fourth controversial shot at Utah's culture from Denver came from Post columnist Woody Paige during the 2002 Olympics hosted by Salt Lake City. A contemporary of Mariotti at Denver's largest newspaper, Paige worked with Mariotti at the News in the late '80s and appeared on ESPN's "Around the Horn" show when it began.
Paige wrote a column making fun of LDS culture, everything from polygamy, Jell-O, alcohol, coffee, and caffeine. It drew so much criticism the Denver Post pulled it off its website and Paige issued a public apology to Utah, even calling the Deseret News with an apology.
Last week in Denver, Paige did author a flattering column about Fredette and even quoted scripture from the Book of Mormon.
So, one may ask why Reilly took such a major shot at Fredette, a player he apparently only saw in person one time in his worst game of the year against Florida last week in the Sweet 16?
I don't know.
But as any detective will tell you, look for patterns. There is no such thing as coincidence.
This looks like a pattern, doesn't it?
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21