Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn says he has no shoulder pain, will start tossing ball next week
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn won't throw a single pass in spring ball as he recovers from shoulder surgery.
The junior will, however, start tossing the ball around next week.
"It'll be real light. It won't be at practice. It'll just be playing catch," Wynn explained. "I'm still a little ways out from being 100 percent. At the same time, I'm making progress."
Wynn, who has been limited to handoffs this spring, has no pain in the shoulder and is determined he'll be fine for summer conditioning and fall camp. Despite not being able to pass the ball, the junior added that he's got a good grasp of the new wrinkles in the offense.
While noting that there is worry about his rhythm and timing and all that, offensive coordinator Norm Chow said Wynn tries to get in as much physical work as he can.
"He's awfully bright and I think he's actually kind of bored in the meetings because he needs more," Chow said of the challenges Wynn has faced while not being able to throw the ball this spring.
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham explained that Wynn's non-practice regimen next week will begin with short throws of 5-10 yards and then progress from there.
"It's exciting," Chow said.
PRO DAY: Utah's annual "Pro Day" is set for Tuesday. A large number of NFL scouts are expected to be on hand to get a closer look at former Utes including Neli A'asa, Matt Asiata, Jereme Brooks, Brandon Burton, Terrance Cain, Lamar Chapman, Christian Cox, Chad Manis, Joe Phillips, Caleb Schlauderaff, Sealver Siliga, Shaky Smithson, Justin Taplin-Ross, Zane Taylor, Junior Tui'one, Walter Watts, Eddie Wide and Kameron Yancy.
EXTRA POINTS: The Utes returned from spring break and practiced indoors because of inclement weather. They're scheduled to practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Wednesday from 3-5 p.m. The first spring scrimmage is set for Friday at 5 p.m. Both sessions are open to the public. … Former Ute safety Robert Johnson of the Tennessee Titans was among the observers at practice. … Luke Matthews has been moved to fullback, but will be used as more of a slash guy. Jake Murphy is getting the back-up reps.
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 63
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 32
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28