SALT LAKE CITY — Humanitarian aid from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is arriving in Japan in the ongoing wake of this month's triple-catastrophe in and around Sendai — the magnitude-9.0 earthquake, ensuing tsunami and subsequent radiation threats.
And much of the LDS-provided relief supplies is coming from Japan and other Asian nations.
To date, the LDS Church has arranged for more than 135,000 pounds of food and water, 8,000 liters of fuel and 15,000 blanks. The church continues to work with the local prefectural governments for coordinated distribution of supplies.
Besides the in-kind supplies, the church has made a substantial financial donation to the Japan Red Cross.
Food and fuel is being purchased in Japan and shipped to Sendai and affected surrounding areas, while the distributed blankets were purchased by the church in China and shipped to Japan.
And Japanese Latter-day Saints are gathering to help their own, as thousands of members from hundreds of congregations across the nation are assembling hygiene and cleaning kits through the next few weeks.
Local LDS leaders in Japan have created an emergency response committee — it meets daily to identify and respond to member and community needs as well as to help organize volunteer efforts.
For those inquiring about helping to assist in relief efforts or make donations, the LDS Church suggests members and others may contribute through its Humanitarian Aid Fund.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Fight Like Girls group helps women battle...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 37
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 16