Besides "The Sopranos," the 47-year-old Falco's previous TV work includes the HBO prison drama, "Oz." Her films include "Judy Berlin," ''Sunshine State" and "Freedomland." She will add to her extensive theater credits when previews begin April 4 for the Broadway revival of John Guare's comedy "The House of Blue Leaves," in which Falco co-stars with Ben Stiller, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Mary Beth Hurt.
Production on "Nurse Jackie" has wrapped for Season 3, so Falco knows what lies ahead. But while she was filming, she insisted on never being told more than was necessary, episode by episode.
"I really need to take it as it comes," she says. "I prefer to find out at the last minute, and go with whatever comes right away. I love not knowing."
And though Jackie seems to regularly court disaster at her job, in her marriage and her personal condition, the series makes plain she's still got room to fall. In a future episode, Jackie asks a self-professed expert in drug abuse, "Hypothetically, how far am I from hitting bottom?"
To that, the man smirks knowingly and answers, "Not even close."
During her interview, Falco marvels at how long some addicts can abuse and delude themselves, "how low-down some individuals can get before they either die or clean themselves up."
For storytellers, that's a good thing.
"It means we have no rules, no boundaries on what Jackie might do," Falco says. "Absolutely anything could happen."
But in the end, there'll be no waffling on Jackie's fate.
"It's important to me," says Falco, "that whatever the culmination of the show may be, and whenever it occurs, she'll either fall apart or she'll fix this."
Showtime is owned by CBS Corp.
EDITOR'S NOTE — Frazier Moore is a national television columnist for The Associated Press. He can be reached at fmoore(at)ap.org.
- Colorado Mormons join other faiths in...
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney lost...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias into gay...
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at Miss USA...
- NPR writer 'slightly' defends Miss Utah USA's...
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary...
- Cap'n Crunch refutes claims he's not actually...
- Facebook goes down, users flood Twitter
- Pew study: News media inserted bias... 51
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 26
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 23
- New York English teacher assigns... 16
- Washington Post writer: Mitt Romney... 16
- Officials: NSA programs broke terrorist... 15
- IRS official: Washington scrutinized... 15
- NSA director says surveillance programs... 14