CARSON, Calif. — David Beckham has gotten the captain's armband back for the Los Angeles Galaxy for the first time in three years.
Coach Bruce Arena decided that Beckham will be captain Saturday for the Major League Soccer team's game at Real Salt Lake.
Beckham took over as captain when he joined the team in 2007 but last captained the Galaxy on Oct. 26, 2008. The armband was given to Landon Donovan the following year.
"Yeah, Bruce has asked me to wear it, and I'll be proud to wear it," Beckham said. "It doesn't change the way I play. It's something you're very proud to wear, but you need more that that one leader on the field."
Donovan will miss the game to be with the U.S. national team for its exhibition against Argentina in East Rutherford, N.J.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45