WEST VALLEY CITY — The Las Vegas Wranglers defeated the Utah Grizzlies 2-1 in a shootout Wednesday night in front of a season-high crowd of 8,914 at the Maverik Center.
After trailing 1-0 for 49:01, Utah's Paul McIlveen brilliantly fed Hugo Carpentier for his 14th goal of the year with 3:47 left in regulation. Both players extended their scoring streaks to five games in the process.
Utah (32-27-4-3) outshot Las Vegas 4-2 in overtime, as both goaltenders stood tall and forced the game to a shootout. Las Vegas' Ryan Huddy was the only player to score in the shootout for either side.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage (19-11-3-2) stopped 25-of-27 shots on the night, including 23 straight, to force the contest to a shootout as Utah collected a standings point.
Utah opens a four-game road trip Friday in Alaska. Face-off is scheduled for 9:15 p.m.
The Grizzlies return to the Maverik Center to complete the regular season Friday, April 1, and Saturday, April 2, for Fan Appreciation Weekend. Face-off both nights is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16