Parents: Lyndon and Elizabeth Ricks, Centerville
Having had many opportunities to perform on the piano, I am usually labeled "the girl with the fast fingers." Many know that I have uniquely fast fingers, but few know that I am also often lonely. Although having fast fingers may be a gift I was blessed with, I have had to develop the skill. Similarly I have had to develop ways to cope with loneliness.
Practicing the piano is a lonely business. The hours of practice for a single performance have often felt burdensome. Many times I have felt that the time commitment of practicing, particularly because of its inherent loneliness, was too steep a price to pay. However, participating in the school choirs and musicals has filled those friendless hours.
Music teaches me perfection and allows me to celebrate the joys that I feel.
SCHOLARSHIP: Ranks first out of 493; GPA is 4.0; Composite ACT is 31.
AWARDS AND PROJECTS: DECA officer; Madrigals and Sound Ideas officer and accompanist; Senior Committee; humanitarian service; member of PTSA; Member of Interact Club; youth religious president; Pit Crew member; High Honor Roll; Academic Letter and Music Letter; Outstanding Math Student Award; private piano instructor.
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13