Parents: Lyndon and Elizabeth Ricks, Centerville
Having had many opportunities to perform on the piano, I am usually labeled "the girl with the fast fingers." Many know that I have uniquely fast fingers, but few know that I am also often lonely. Although having fast fingers may be a gift I was blessed with, I have had to develop the skill. Similarly I have had to develop ways to cope with loneliness.
Practicing the piano is a lonely business. The hours of practice for a single performance have often felt burdensome. Many times I have felt that the time commitment of practicing, particularly because of its inherent loneliness, was too steep a price to pay. However, participating in the school choirs and musicals has filled those friendless hours.
Music teaches me perfection and allows me to celebrate the joys that I feel.
SCHOLARSHIP: Ranks first out of 493; GPA is 4.0; Composite ACT is 31.
AWARDS AND PROJECTS: DECA officer; Madrigals and Sound Ideas officer and accompanist; Senior Committee; humanitarian service; member of PTSA; Member of Interact Club; youth religious president; Pit Crew member; High Honor Roll; Academic Letter and Music Letter; Outstanding Math Student Award; private piano instructor.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential... 18