Mormon church's Provo MTC: Exclusive look of the largest missionary training facility in the world
The TALL instruction is for missionaries learning a new language, as they listen to words, phrases and longer readings from a native speaker and record and compare their own pronunciations.
"What really makes or breaks you in learning a language is your personal time," said Elder Russell Homer of Holladay, called to serve in the Russia Rostov Mission.
The Provo MTC continues to grow — both in number of missionaries (the LDS Church forecasts an upcoming demographic upswing in prospective missionaries) and a current 10-year expansion and renovation project.
The current construction focus is a three-story, 40,000-square-foot building to house mail services, clothing assistance, medical and clinical services, a book store, a copy center, a maintenance shop and a receiving center. It will also provide additional office space and residence rooms for 30-plus senior couples.
It is scheduled for completion and dedication in ceremonies later this year that will double as a 50th anniversary commemoration of the old MLI.
Still, the best success stories focus on the missionaries rather than the facilities.
Like Elder Gabriel Ribeiro of Brasilia, Brazil, in the Provo MTC being taught in English — his second language – to learn a third language — Japanese — for his assignment in Japan.
"I write home to my parents about the spiritual feast I have here every day," he said. "I learn so much here. I didn't think I could learn that much — about the gospel, about Japanese. I tell them how grateful I am to be here and to see the church really working."
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 50
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any... 21
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 17
- ACLU supports inmates' hunger strike,... 15
- EPA's Clean Power Plan draws Utah... 14
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12