VICTORIA, British Columbia — The Victoria Salmon Kings defeated the Utah Grizzlies 5-2 Friday night in Victoria as they broke open a 3-2 game late with a power-play goal and a late empty-net score.
Utah trailed 3-0 going to the third period after giving up a shorthanded goal in the first and two power-play goals in the second period. However, the Grizzlies got back in the game with Simon Ferguson (18) and Marcus Carroll (14) scoring 4:26 apart at 8:04 and 12:30 of the period and it was 3-2 going down the stretch.
Two untimely penalties however ended Utah's comeback effort as the Salmon Kings took advantage and finished the contest.
Utah goaltender Andrew Engelage stopped 28 of 32 in the contest and did not allow Victoria to score a five-on-five goal.
Utah and the Salmon Kings complete their season series Saturday in Canada.
Face-off is scheduled for 8:05 p.m.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42