When Gov. Gary Herbert put his signature on HB477, the bill that will allow legislators to conduct the people's business in secret, he showed us he is not for the people. Instead he joined that gang of Republican leaders in the House and Senate who are determined to steal power from the people and concentrate it in their own cabal.
This is how citizens lose their representative democracy. These guys think a republic works by giving the legislators all the political power and the people none. Another thing they don't understand is that you don't pass a bill without debate, have it signed into law and then declare it's time for debating the bill. The lawmakers have agreed to extend the time of debate until July to allow public input. But you can be assured that there will not be any amendments of any consequence, and after July, HB447 will be mainly intact.
Bob Van Velkinburgh
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration...
- In our opinion: 70 mph — driving at the...
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive order...
- How America feels about Mitt Romney right now
- Greg Bell: It's time to raise the gas tax
- My view: Global warming needs free market
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude...
- Lois M. Collins: Daddy-daughter duo turn trip...
- Letter: Where jobs come from 64
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 59
- Letter: Growing party divide 50
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive... 44
- In our opinion: When it comes to... 40
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 39
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration... 31
- Letter: Speed limit increase 26