When Gov. Gary Herbert put his signature on HB477, the bill that will allow legislators to conduct the people's business in secret, he showed us he is not for the people. Instead he joined that gang of Republican leaders in the House and Senate who are determined to steal power from the people and concentrate it in their own cabal.
This is how citizens lose their representative democracy. These guys think a republic works by giving the legislators all the political power and the people none. Another thing they don't understand is that you don't pass a bill without debate, have it signed into law and then declare it's time for debating the bill. The lawmakers have agreed to extend the time of debate until July to allow public input. But you can be assured that there will not be any amendments of any consequence, and after July, HB447 will be mainly intact.
Bob Van Velkinburgh
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Lois M. Collins: School start times are...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Same-sex...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Letter: Police brutality
- In our opinion: UTA to reconnect?
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn into...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 76
- Letter: Police brutality 58
- Whitt Flora: It's time to put U.S.... 35
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs... 26
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 24
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's... 23
- In our opinion: To be vigilant,... 23
- Letter: Parking questions 22