When Gov. Gary Herbert put his signature on HB477, the bill that will allow legislators to conduct the people's business in secret, he showed us he is not for the people. Instead he joined that gang of Republican leaders in the House and Senate who are determined to steal power from the people and concentrate it in their own cabal.
This is how citizens lose their representative democracy. These guys think a republic works by giving the legislators all the political power and the people none. Another thing they don't understand is that you don't pass a bill without debate, have it signed into law and then declare it's time for debating the bill. The lawmakers have agreed to extend the time of debate until July to allow public input. But you can be assured that there will not be any amendments of any consequence, and after July, HB447 will be mainly intact.
Bob Van Velkinburgh
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions
- John Florez: The people's voices don't count
- In our opinion: Six heroes for our values in...
- Letter: Distance from religion
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests — a...
- Letter: Who can we trust?
- Drew Clark: Ebola, cybersecurity and...
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 33
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 29
- Letter: Distance from religion 24
- Letter: Sharing culpability 22
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions 14
- Prisons bring much positive change 13