When Gov. Gary Herbert put his signature on HB477, the bill that will allow legislators to conduct the people's business in secret, he showed us he is not for the people. Instead he joined that gang of Republican leaders in the House and Senate who are determined to steal power from the people and concentrate it in their own cabal.
This is how citizens lose their representative democracy. These guys think a republic works by giving the legislators all the political power and the people none. Another thing they don't understand is that you don't pass a bill without debate, have it signed into law and then declare it's time for debating the bill. The lawmakers have agreed to extend the time of debate until July to allow public input. But you can be assured that there will not be any amendments of any consequence, and after July, HB447 will be mainly intact.
Bob Van Velkinburgh
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Can Hollywood keep the faith in faith-based...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 105
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 50
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- Letter: Breeding hate 44
- Letter: Policy disagreement 42
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 41