Lone Peak sophomore Nick Emery was named Utah's boys basketball Gatorade Player of the Year on Thursday.
A two-year starter for the Knights, Emery averaged 21.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.9 assists in leading his team to the 5A boys basketball state championship earlier this month.
Emery also knocked down 73 3-pointers and finished with 57 steals this season.
"Nick is just a tremendous talent. Offensively, he brings the whole package," said Lone Peak coach Quincy Lewis earlier this season. "From 3s to mid-range to getting to the basket, I think this year he's developed greater body strength and is able to take hits better."
Emery is the second Lone Peak player honored by Gatorade, as Tyler Haws received the award in 2008 and 2009.
The Gatorade Player of the Year is presented in collaboration with ESPN Rise and is meant to honor achievements both on and in the classroom.
In a press release announcing the award, Jordan coach Rob Geertsen said, "People keep asking me how you can stop him, and the answer is that I don't know. He's very good getting to the basket and getting to the line, and you can't guard him in transition. He's really the high school version of Jimmer Fredette."
Emery scored a career-high 36 points in Lone Peak's 80-63 victory over West Jordan in the 5A quarterfinals.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Chase Fischer sets school record for...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 92
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 60
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 41
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 41
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30