Lone Peak sophomore Nick Emery was named Utah's boys basketball Gatorade Player of the Year on Thursday.
A two-year starter for the Knights, Emery averaged 21.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.9 assists in leading his team to the 5A boys basketball state championship earlier this month.
Emery also knocked down 73 3-pointers and finished with 57 steals this season.
"Nick is just a tremendous talent. Offensively, he brings the whole package," said Lone Peak coach Quincy Lewis earlier this season. "From 3s to mid-range to getting to the basket, I think this year he's developed greater body strength and is able to take hits better."
Emery is the second Lone Peak player honored by Gatorade, as Tyler Haws received the award in 2008 and 2009.
The Gatorade Player of the Year is presented in collaboration with ESPN Rise and is meant to honor achievements both on and in the classroom.
In a press release announcing the award, Jordan coach Rob Geertsen said, "People keep asking me how you can stop him, and the answer is that I don't know. He's very good getting to the basket and getting to the line, and you can't guard him in transition. He's really the high school version of Jimmer Fredette."
Emery scored a career-high 36 points in Lone Peak's 80-63 victory over West Jordan in the 5A quarterfinals.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 69
- Amy Donaldson: Recent hearings on rules... 9
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0