Lone Peak sophomore Nick Emery was named Utah's boys basketball Gatorade Player of the Year on Thursday.
A two-year starter for the Knights, Emery averaged 21.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.9 assists in leading his team to the 5A boys basketball state championship earlier this month.
Emery also knocked down 73 3-pointers and finished with 57 steals this season.
"Nick is just a tremendous talent. Offensively, he brings the whole package," said Lone Peak coach Quincy Lewis earlier this season. "From 3s to mid-range to getting to the basket, I think this year he's developed greater body strength and is able to take hits better."
Emery is the second Lone Peak player honored by Gatorade, as Tyler Haws received the award in 2008 and 2009.
The Gatorade Player of the Year is presented in collaboration with ESPN Rise and is meant to honor achievements both on and in the classroom.
In a press release announcing the award, Jordan coach Rob Geertsen said, "People keep asking me how you can stop him, and the answer is that I don't know. He's very good getting to the basket and getting to the line, and you can't guard him in transition. He's really the high school version of Jimmer Fredette."
Emery scored a career-high 36 points in Lone Peak's 80-63 victory over West Jordan in the 5A quarterfinals.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48