BYU basketball notebook: Cougars take win in stride this time
DENVER — Going into last year's NCAA tournament, BYU hadn't won a tournament game in 17 years.
That changed when the Cougars claimed a dramatic double-overtime triumph over Florida.
So how did BYU players and coaches react after Thursday night's 74-66 opening-round victory over Wofford?
"It was a little different in the locker room," said coach Dave Rose. "I thought that last year was kind of a real euphoric atmosphere. Guys were jumping around. I think guys (Thursday) were happy with the win and looking forward to our next challenge."
That will come Saturday, as the Cougars advanced to the round of 32.
"I think that's all part of just growth and maturity in a team," Rose continued. "This team is pretty businesslike. They are a team that understands we expect each other to win. I think that we've been consistent throughout the year doing that, with a few setbacks. I think they were pleased with their accomplishment."
MORE MILESTONES: BYU guard Jimmer Fredette scored 32 points against the Terriers, pushing him above the 1,000-point plateau for the season. Fredette became the 19th player in NCAA Division I history to reach that mark in one season.
With seven assists, Fredette surpassed the 500-assist milestone for his career.
Fredette has scored in double figures in 40 straight games and has been the Cougars' top scorer in each of the last 20. He has also made a 3-pointer in 27 consecutive games.
INTENTIONAL FOULS: BYU was whistled for a couple of intentional fouls Thursday, and center James Anderson was assessed a technical foul after kicking the ball late in the first half.
"I was a little disappointed with James, when he showed some frustration and kicked the ball," Rose said.
And as for those intentional fouls?
"The one thing that I'm really proud of our guys is because there were a couple of calls in the last three or four games that have been frustrating," Rose said. "But our guys hung in there. But I've just always felt that players play really hard and they make mistakes. I think the same goes for officials sometimes."
NOTABLE: BYU improved to 31-4 on the season, which breaks the school record for single-season victories. The Cougars had 30 wins last year. ... BYU now has a 13-28 record all-time in the NCAA tournament and has won two of its last three tournament games. ... Freshman Kyle Collinsworth pulled down a career-high 11 rebounds Thursday. ... By recording a blocked shot, Noah Hartsock moved ahead of Alan Taylor (1976-80) for fourth all-time at BYU in blocked shots. ... The Cougars are 21-0 when holding their opponent to less than 70 points. ... Wofford's Noah Dahlman, who scored 22 points, has scored in double figures in 81 consecutive games and reached 2,000 points for his career. ... Terrier forward Tim Johnson (11 rebounds) passed 1,000 rebounds for his career.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 90
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 20
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12