Bishop H. David Burton, presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, received the "Giant in Our City" award from the Salt Lake Chamber Wednesday.
"Bishop Burton's influence goes way beyond his current role as bishop," said Lane Beattie, president and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber. "This is a brilliant businessman, but most importantly a caring, loving human being."
As the 31st recipient of the award, Bishop Burton joins the likes of Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman Sr., Gordon B. Hinckley, Larry Miller and Bishop Carolyn Tanner Irish.
In his role as presiding bishop, Bishop Burton handles "mostly the business affairs of the church," including humanitarian aid and the development of the $1.5 billion City Creek Center, which is about a year from completion.
The video in the inset box at left is a tribute to Bishop Burton that was presented during the Giant in Our City event.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Police seek your help finding man, woman in...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Rally in support of police also draws... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 21
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9