Bishop H. David Burton, presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, received the "Giant in Our City" award from the Salt Lake Chamber Wednesday.
"Bishop Burton's influence goes way beyond his current role as bishop," said Lane Beattie, president and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber. "This is a brilliant businessman, but most importantly a caring, loving human being."
As the 31st recipient of the award, Bishop Burton joins the likes of Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman Sr., Gordon B. Hinckley, Larry Miller and Bishop Carolyn Tanner Irish.
In his role as presiding bishop, Bishop Burton handles "mostly the business affairs of the church," including humanitarian aid and the development of the $1.5 billion City Creek Center, which is about a year from completion.
The video in the inset box at left is a tribute to Bishop Burton that was presented during the Giant in Our City event.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18