VICTORIA, British Columbia — The Victoria Salmon Kings scored five first-period goals on its way to a 9-2 victory over the Utah Grizzlies on Wednesday night.
Utah (31-26-4-2) took a 1-0 lead 8:30 into the first period as Brett Parnham scored his 17th goal of the year.
But Victoria closed the period by scoring five goals in a 6:59 stretch to take a 5-1 first intermission lead.
Utah made it 5-2 in the second period on a Hugo Carpentier goal, as he crashed the net for his 13th score of the season on the power-play.
Victoria responded with two goals late in the second period and two more in the third to finish the rout.
Tyler Sims and Shane Connelly split goaltending duties for Utah in the game.
Shea Guthrie factored in on both Utah goals by tallying two assists.
Utah and the Salmon Kings meet again Friday and Saturday in Canada. Face-off is scheduled for 8:05 p.m. each night.
The Grizzlies return home on Wednesday, March 23, to host Las Vegas at 7:05 p.m..
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play... 4