VICTORIA, British Columbia — The Victoria Salmon Kings scored five first-period goals on its way to a 9-2 victory over the Utah Grizzlies on Wednesday night.
Utah (31-26-4-2) took a 1-0 lead 8:30 into the first period as Brett Parnham scored his 17th goal of the year.
But Victoria closed the period by scoring five goals in a 6:59 stretch to take a 5-1 first intermission lead.
Utah made it 5-2 in the second period on a Hugo Carpentier goal, as he crashed the net for his 13th score of the season on the power-play.
Victoria responded with two goals late in the second period and two more in the third to finish the rout.
Tyler Sims and Shane Connelly split goaltending duties for Utah in the game.
Shea Guthrie factored in on both Utah goals by tallying two assists.
Utah and the Salmon Kings meet again Friday and Saturday in Canada. Face-off is scheduled for 8:05 p.m. each night.
The Grizzlies return home on Wednesday, March 23, to host Las Vegas at 7:05 p.m..
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 47
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8