SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Sacramento Kings have taken yet another step toward a potential move to Southern California.
With the Kings exploring relocation to Anaheim, a Sacramento attorney representing the team's owners filed for at least four federal trademark registrations this month.
Among the names filed for according to the United States Patent and Trademark Office's website were: Anaheim Royals, Anaheim Royals of Southern California, Orange County Royals and Los Angeles Royals. The filing was made March 3 by attorney Scott Hervey on behalf of the Crickets Corp., a Nevada-based company.
Hervey has worked for Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof in previous sports business dealings, including the Maloof Money Cup skateboarding competition in Orange County.
The name change would be a throwback to the franchise's earlier days.
The well-traveled franchise was known as the Rochester Royals during the NBA's first season in 1949, winning the 1951 title before moving to Cincinnati in 1957. When the Cincinnati Royals moved again to Kansas City in 1972, they agreed to change their nickname to avoid conflict with baseball's Kansas City Royals, who joined the AL in 1969.
BOGUT SITS OUT WITH HEADACHE: Bucks center Andrew Bogut sat Milwaukee's game Wednesday night against the Orlando Magic because of a migraine headache. It's the second game the former No. 1 overall pick from Utah has missed because of a migraine and the 13th overall this year.
Bogut has also missed time because of back soreness, a virus, a right knee bruise and a strained left ribcage. Bogut, who has dealt with migraine headaches throughout his playing career, is averaging 12.6 points and a career-best 11.4 rebounds.
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 23
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22