TRIPOLI, Libya — Moammar Gadhafi has denounced the country's rebels as "rats" and says the West wants to steal Libyan oil.
Gadhafi spoke to supporters in the capital, Tripoli, on Tuesday. He denied that thousands of people have died in weeks of fighting and said only hundreds had died — mostly rebels.
Only 10 days ago, the rebellion was poised to march on Tripoli and had appeared capable of sweeping Gadhafi out after 41 years in power. But the regime's better armed and organized military has reversed the tide.
In Benghazi, the main rebel stronghold in Libya's east, a crowd watching on a TV projection on a wall in Benghazi shouted curses and threw shows at the image, in video broadcast live by Al-Jazeera satellite TV.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- The rise of social entrepreneurship: How...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 52
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 45
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 35
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14
- House leaders abandon border bill 14
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13