TRIPOLI, Libya — Moammar Gadhafi has denounced the country's rebels as "rats" and says the West wants to steal Libyan oil.
Gadhafi spoke to supporters in the capital, Tripoli, on Tuesday. He denied that thousands of people have died in weeks of fighting and said only hundreds had died — mostly rebels.
Only 10 days ago, the rebellion was poised to march on Tripoli and had appeared capable of sweeping Gadhafi out after 41 years in power. But the regime's better armed and organized military has reversed the tide.
In Benghazi, the main rebel stronghold in Libya's east, a crowd watching on a TV projection on a wall in Benghazi shouted curses and threw shows at the image, in video broadcast live by Al-Jazeera satellite TV.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Apple sells more than 10 million iPhones in...
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 9
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 7
- It's not just young people —... 7