TRIPOLI, Libya — Moammar Gadhafi has denounced the country's rebels as "rats" and says the West wants to steal Libyan oil.
Gadhafi spoke to supporters in the capital, Tripoli, on Tuesday. He denied that thousands of people have died in weeks of fighting and said only hundreds had died — mostly rebels.
Only 10 days ago, the rebellion was poised to march on Tripoli and had appeared capable of sweeping Gadhafi out after 41 years in power. But the regime's better armed and organized military has reversed the tide.
In Benghazi, the main rebel stronghold in Libya's east, a crowd watching on a TV projection on a wall in Benghazi shouted curses and threw shows at the image, in video broadcast live by Al-Jazeera satellite TV.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters...
- Bridezilla, meet 'Bridechilla'
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common Core
- Obama announces new birth control fixes for...
- How poverty plays a role in Ferguson
- Deported Mexicans find new life at call centers
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 119
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 29
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban... 17
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 15