During those years, Stephenson said, change came to Ricks College. At one point, he said, more than 100 women enrolled at the college, alongside just three men.
That ratio changed dramatically after the war, as veterans flocked back to school to make use of the G.I. Bill. Stephenson returned to Ricks in 1946. As the college registrar, he had a hand in helping many of the returning soldiers. Later, he served as a chaplain with the Idaho National Guard.
Even today, Stephenson, just a month away from his 98th birthday, remains active as a veteran.
Stephenson remained at Ricks College until his retirement in 1978.
Bob Hansen, a fellow faculty emeritus, said Stephenson is a kind, competent man with "a jovial spirit about him."
"Eldred has always been a gentleman," Hansen said.
Stephenson has also been an active member of the community, serving a short term on the Rexburg City Council. He also served as president of the Lions Club and, in 1960, helped found the Beehive Credit Union.
"He's a very kind, gentle, hardworking, dedicated and honest man," Beehive CEO Dan Owen said.
Today, Stephenson still keeps busy, even 33 years into retirement. He's an avid golfer and loves to travel to visit family. He also keeps a keen eye on all of the exciting developments at BYU-Idaho.
"I have been blessed to work at Ricks College and to live and raise a family in Rexburg," he said.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Hundreds of volunteers tackle service...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- 1,200 gather in Salt Lake, take part in...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 24
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 17
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16