CHICAGO — After missing the past two games with a left knee injury, Paul Millsap thought he was going to be able to play today against the Chicago Bulls.
That changed when he tested his knee in pregame warm-ups on the United Center court.
The patellar tendinitis that has caused Millsap so much pain lately flared up again, forcing him to the sideline yet again.
"It's just painful to run on it," Millsap said in obvious disgust.
As such, rookie Jeremy Evans will start in Millsap's place for the third straight game. He'll join Devin Harris, Raja Bell, Andrei Kirilenko and Al Jefferson in beginning this challenging contest for the Jazz.
Not surprisingly, ex-Jazz player Carlos Boozer will also miss the game for Bulls because of an ankle injury.
Not being able to go is a major disappointment for Millsap.
"It's a tough thing — a tough pill to swallow," Millsap said. "I just want to get back onto the court."
Asked if he'll have to shut it down and give his knee extended time to rest and heal, Millsap responded: "I've been shutting it down. Hopefully, over the next few days it'll be all right. I've just got to see what happens tomorrow, the day after that."
Utah returns home after tonight's game and will follow this four-game road trip with a Monday night game against Philadelphia.
With Boozer out, the Bulls will start Kurt Thomas at power forward. Derrick Rose, Keith Bogans, Luol Deng and Joakim Noah round out Chicago's starting five.
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 55
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 54
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 50
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 13