LAS VEGAS Sixth-ranked San Diego State avenged its only two losses of the season and claimed the Mountain West Conference Tournament championship by blowing out No. 8 BYU, 72-54, Saturday at the Thomas & Mack Center.
SDSU outscored BYU 38-14 in the paint and outshot the Cougars, 45 percent to 33 percent.
Read the rest of Jeff Call's game recap here.
Cougars on the air
Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
Season series: BYU leads, 2-0
Jimmer Fredette made his strongest pitch yet for National Player of the Year honors on Friday, but he has more work to do Saturday as No. 8 Brigham Young meets No. 6 San Diego State in the Mountain West Conference tournament title game. Fredette scored a career-high 52 points in the Cougars semifinal victory over New Mexico and now seeks to add a conference tournament title to his long list of accomplishments. San Diego State will also be highly motivated as both of its losses were to BYU. The Aztecs reached the title game when D.J. Gay hit the game-winning shot with 4.9 seconds left of its semifinal victory over host UNLV. The two teams shared the regular-season title, but the Cougars are the top-seeded team based on sweeping the season series with San Diego State.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- High school football: Riverton coach Mike...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by poor...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 39
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 37
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 33