LAS VEGAS Sixth-ranked San Diego State avenged its only two losses of the season and claimed the Mountain West Conference Tournament championship by blowing out No. 8 BYU, 72-54, Saturday at the Thomas & Mack Center.
SDSU outscored BYU 38-14 in the paint and outshot the Cougars, 45 percent to 33 percent.
Read the rest of Jeff Call's game recap here.
Cougars on the air
Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
Season series: BYU leads, 2-0
Jimmer Fredette made his strongest pitch yet for National Player of the Year honors on Friday, but he has more work to do Saturday as No. 8 Brigham Young meets No. 6 San Diego State in the Mountain West Conference tournament title game. Fredette scored a career-high 52 points in the Cougars semifinal victory over New Mexico and now seeks to add a conference tournament title to his long list of accomplishments. San Diego State will also be highly motivated as both of its losses were to BYU. The Aztecs reached the title game when D.J. Gay hit the game-winning shot with 4.9 seconds left of its semifinal victory over host UNLV. The two teams shared the regular-season title, but the Cougars are the top-seeded team based on sweeping the season series with San Diego State.
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- North Carolina AD: School will respond to...
- Championship ring: President calls Cavs coach...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 34
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 21
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19