Julie Jacobson, Associated Press
LAS VEGAS — Chace Stanback and Tre'Von Willis each scored 20 points in leading the UNLV Runnin' Rebels past Air Force 69-53 Thursday night in the Mountain West Conference quarterfinals for their sixth straight win.
The Rebels (24-7) will face No. 7 San Diego State (30-2) Friday night at the Thomas & Mack Center. They've been beaten by the second-seeded Aztecs twice, both times by six points.
The Rebels won this one from long distance, sinking 11 of 20 3-pointers, including Stanback's 6-of-8 performance.
UNLV coach Lon Kruger has been an outspoken proponent of the Mountain West getting several NCAA tournament bids because the league is ranked fourth in the RPI, ahead of some leagues where six or seven bids have been discussed.
The third-seeded Rebels, who improved to 14-1 at the Thomas & Mack Center against the Falcons (15-15) have certainly burnished their credentials, winning 10 of their last 12 games.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37