BYU basketball: Cougars make the most of their second-chance opportunities
A 17-2 advantage in second-chance opportunities proved to be more than enough to get the job done.
"That's the one thing we talked about at halftime," said forward Noah Hartsock, who grabbed five offensive rebounds. "Our shots weren't falling so we talked about just crashing the offensive boards, getting the second chances for our team, and when we started doing that, it really turned the tide and really helped us out."
BYU trailed 34-33 at the break and was outrebounded 15-11. Hartsock noted that TCU came out ready to play and the Cougars needed to match the Horned Frogs' aggressiveness in the second half.
"We needed to find ways to win and that was the key tonight — just get the offensive boards and get us second chances," he said.
"It was good for Charles and Noah and the rest of the guys to crash and give us second opportunities at the rim where we weren't hitting shots from the outside," Emery said.
The result? Layups.
"It's a huge part of our offense," Collinsworth said. "We send three, four and five to the glass and crash the boards and try to get second chances for our team."
The Cougars, he added, have a lot of good rebounders and just need to be aggressive and grab them.
That wasn't the case, however, in the second half when the game was decided.
"We understand that a lot of teams are going to think that we're vulnerable in the post," Emery said. "But we still have a lot of confidence in our guys."
And it paid off, again.
"This group has found ways to win games," BYU coach Dave Rose said while noting that the second-chance payoff didn't surprise him. "We needed to do that to win."
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?; Andre...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 55
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 32
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23