MEN'S TRACK AND FIELD: Seven members of the BYU's fifth-ranked men's track team will be representing the Cougars at the 2011 NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field Championship meet in College Station, Texas, on Friday and Saturday.
"It is going to be fun, there is some phenomenal competition there and everyone is healthy," BYU coach Mark Robison said. "We are excited with the prospects we have; with a little luck, we'll do very well."
Junior Miles Batty, the Mountain West Conference champion and current school record-holder in the mile run, will be a legitimate contender for a national championship. Batty broke a 31-year-old BYU record with a 3:55.79 mile time at the Husky Classic in Seattle, Wash., earlier this year.
In the 4,000-meter distance medley relay, the Cougars will feature senior Brian Weirich and juniors Chris Carter, Justin Hedin and Batty trying to best their NCAA third-ranked time of 9:29.13. The time broke the facility record in Albuquerque, N.M., at the MWC Championships.
BYU will send two pole vaulters to nationals. Sophomore Victor Weirich has the second-best mark in the country this year, clearing a height of 18 feet, 1/2 inch. Not far behind, senior Chris Little cleared 17-91/4 to earn an invite as well.
Senior Leif Arrhenius will be a multi-event competitor for the Cougars. The All-American will compete in both the shot put and the weight throw after winning both events at the MWC Championships. This is the second-straight year he has competed in the weight throw at Nationals.
"I think all of our guys are capable of scoring," Robison said. "If they can all score some points, that could be huge."
The NCAA Indoor Championships will begin on Friday at 9 a.m. MT and conclude Saturday night with an awards ceremony at approximately 6:50 p.m. MT.
ESPN2 will show a tape delay of the event on March 16 at 2:30 p.m. Eastern. ESPN3 will webstream the event on Friday, March 11 from 4-8:40 p.m. and Saturday, March 12 from 4-7:50 p.m. The remainder of the event will be streamed live on NCAA.com.
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 56
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 46
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 16