"If you told me I could have John Arnett or a person 100 times faster, I'd take John any day of the week," Jamieson said. "It's about helping other people. … We're pretty picky about the people you run with. I don't have the patience to deal with that one bad apple. You want to have a good experience."
It's the combination of doing something difficult and running with people that make you laugh that keeps Jamieson coming back for more.
"It's because they're hard and they're fun," he said.
Then he quotes Tom Hanks in "A League of Their Own."
As his character tries to convince Geena Davis' character not to quit the baseball team, he says, "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is … what makes it great."
And then Jamieson adds, "It's nice to do something hard once in a while."
Jamieson has been told by doctors he should lose weight before running. He sees running as the motivation to lose weight. He and his teammates are planning to run Wasatch Back in June, and he hopes to be back under 300 by the end of this month.
When he runs, he sleeps better, feels better and "is less cranky."
Regardless of what the scale — or the rest of the world — says about his health, running has given Jamieson something that's hard to come by when you struggle with weight.
"I would say running has just made me comfortable in my own skin."
- MLS Cup live blog: Sporting KC wins 7-6 in...
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog: Minutemen's...
- BYU basketball: Hot-shooting UMass fires its...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Real Salt Lake: RSL's quest to win MLS Cup...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 60
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 49
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 26