The Heat made one late run from a nine-point deficit, starting with a 3-pointer by Mike Bibby and getting within two on a dunk by James with 4:35 left, but when the Blazers were up 103-94 and running out the clock with a minute left, many of the fans who remained were booing.
"Our confidence level, me and D-Wade's confidence level being the leaders of the team, won't go down," James said.
Wallace and Roy are not exactly ordinary bench players, having a combined 749 starts in 902 career appearances. But with Miami's bench struggling of late anyway, that Portland duo turned the reserve battle into a one-sided fight, outscoring the Heat backups 26-5 in the first half as the Blazers took a 57-51 lead.
Miami got within two points on five occasions within a span of 5½ minutes in the third quarter — with Portland answering every time, four of those scores coming on the very next possession. And after Wade opened the fourth with a dunk to tie it at 77, the Blazers peeled off the next seven, then took what was their biggest lead of the night — 89-80— on Wallace's three-point play with 6:59 left.
A comeback try ensued, and ultimately fell short — again.
"We just need more," Wade said.
Notes: Before this seven-game road winning streak, Portland had won seven of its last 23 away from home. ... The Heat fell to 14-17 when scoring below 100. They're 29-4 when topping it. ... McMillan signed a two-year contract extension earlier in the day. ... James has scored 25 or more points in eight straight games, one shy of the franchise record.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 40
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25