The Heat made one late run from a nine-point deficit, starting with a 3-pointer by Mike Bibby and getting within two on a dunk by James with 4:35 left, but when the Blazers were up 103-94 and running out the clock with a minute left, many of the fans who remained were booing.
"Our confidence level, me and D-Wade's confidence level being the leaders of the team, won't go down," James said.
Wallace and Roy are not exactly ordinary bench players, having a combined 749 starts in 902 career appearances. But with Miami's bench struggling of late anyway, that Portland duo turned the reserve battle into a one-sided fight, outscoring the Heat backups 26-5 in the first half as the Blazers took a 57-51 lead.
Miami got within two points on five occasions within a span of 5½ minutes in the third quarter — with Portland answering every time, four of those scores coming on the very next possession. And after Wade opened the fourth with a dunk to tie it at 77, the Blazers peeled off the next seven, then took what was their biggest lead of the night — 89-80— on Wallace's three-point play with 6:59 left.
A comeback try ensued, and ultimately fell short — again.
"We just need more," Wade said.
Notes: Before this seven-game road winning streak, Portland had won seven of its last 23 away from home. ... The Heat fell to 14-17 when scoring below 100. They're 29-4 when topping it. ... McMillan signed a two-year contract extension earlier in the day. ... James has scored 25 or more points in eight straight games, one shy of the franchise record.
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 13
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5